Sunday, June 11, 2006

The Tony Awards

I always enjoy watching The Tony Awards because of the musical numbers, and it is also my only opportunity--for the moment, anyway--to catch glimpses of shows with the original casts. I'm always quite envious (not in an angry, bitter way) of my colleague TimShady, who has seen Rent with the original cast, Kiss of the Spider Woman with Vanessa Williams, and The Producers with Matthew Broderick and Nathan Lane. (Any plans to see The Pajama Game with Harry Connick, Jr., TimShady?) I need connections!

Anyway, I at least try to catch the shows when they tour, and I know that I want to see Jersey Boys. As I watched the Jersey Boys number during the Tonys, I was reminded of when my mother took reluctant me to see Frankie Valli and The Four Seasons when they came through Panama City. I was probably about fifteen. The main thing I remember is that my mother was quite dismayed by how old they looked, and I mainly wanted to hear them sing "Grease is the Word," which they did. Seventeen years later, I now know more of their songs, and Jersey Boys looks like an enjoyable show.

Please forgive me for not linking to every show here; it requires too much effort than I have energy for at the moment. It's bedtime.

No comments: