Thursday, June 22, 2006

Miss Georgia Prelims

Thanks to the generosity of TimShady, who had an available ticket, I was able to watch one of the Miss Georgia preliminary competitions last night. Before I get to far into this post, I want to clarify that I'm not a "pageant crazy" person, but I have always been a fan of both the Miss America and the (now-defunct?) America's Junior Miss pageant systems, primarily because these are two pageants that reward talent and academics. Anyway, I picked last night's competition to go to because the talent pool for that evening seemed to be the most promising. I'm not going to recap all the winners and such because TimShady has already covered this on his blog, but I will say that my first "real" pageant experience was quite enjoyable. The talent was really good; apparently it was the night of the "opera divas," my favorite being the contestant who sang "Nessun Dorma"--she was one of the two talent winners. (I didn't realize until after the pageant that she is only 18, a fact that makes me even more impressed with her.)

I also enjoyed just people watching. Those pageant fans are devoted, y'all. I told TimShady that I wished I had both a crown AND a light-up scepter, because apparently those are big-ticket items when it comes to pageant viewing. Maybe one day...

2 comments:

RealTimShady said...

America's Junior Miss was defunct, but it has been resurrected by some concerned Mobileans. The website for America's Junior Miss is http://www.ajm.org.

Of course, Miss America took advantage of AJM's temporary defunctness and created their own teen program -- Miss America's Outstanding Teen. That website is http://www.maoteen.org.

Amy said...

Thanks for the info, TimShady. You are the Yoda when it comes to pageants. (Hey--I think I just came up with a "pageant producer" name. You are following an Oz, after all.)