Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Cuckoos and Tomatoes

Darryl and I are probably turning into pure lycopene with all the tomatoes and watermelon we've eaten lately. I love summer fruits and vegetables!

Tonight I fixed two more tomato recipes: Pasta with Sun-dried Tomatoes from Ina Garten's Barefoot Contessa: Family Style, and stewed tomatoes with okra. First, the pasta was really more of a pasta salad, a mixture of "regular" chopped tomatoes, pasta, sun-dried tomatoes, kalamata olives (yum), and mozzerella chunks. Darryl said it was "not bad," which is a pretty high rating from him, considering he isn't a big pasta salad fan. I thought it was very good and will probably make it again. I realize that stewed tomatoes with okra probably sounds gross to those out there who hate both okra and tomatoes, but to those of us who love both, it's a southern delicacy.

Today was mostly a day of doing laundry, but I did manage to watch One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest. Last year, a student of mine who is extremely passionate about films made a list of about 50 movies that he felt I needed to watch in my lifetime, and this one was near the top of his list. Anyway, it took me a while to get into the movie (it didn't help that I had to pause every once in a while to transfer or hang laundry), but from about the midpoint on, I found it very intriguing--and I loved the ending. (Those English teachers out there--do you find that in the summer, your brain kind of shuts down when it comes to finding the right word? Intriguing isn't really what I want to say, but I can't think of right adjective!)

Max's post about "classic movies" reminded me of just how many "classics" I haven't seen. I think I may be the only person over the age of 30 in this country who hasn't seen any Rocky movies. I have seen all the Star Wars movies, though. :)

No comments: