Saturday, June 03, 2006

Jousting and baseball

Today my friend Casi and I experienced two very different forms of entertainment that Atlanta has to offer: the Georgia Renaissance Festival and an Atlanta Braves baseball game.

I had never been to a Renaissance Festival before, but it was definitely...surreal. Knights, (buxom) wenches, maidens, troubadors, and the like roamed the village, peddling their wares--everything from costumes to floral headpieces to a ride in a pirate ship.

I indulged in some fried macaroni and cheese on a stick. (The "diet" doesn't start until Monday.) It was tasty.

The best part, however, was people watching. Some people take the Renaissance Festival very seriously. Consider, for example, the people sitting in front of us as we watched the Tortugas Twins Comedy Act:


After a couple of hours at the Festival, Casi and I went to the Braves game. Casi had the tickets from last night's rained-out game, so this was an unexpected treat. The seats were in the Lexus Level, so we had a good view of the field while sitting in the shade. Even though my next husband, Javy Lopez, is no longer with the Braves, going to a Braves game is still one of my favorite things to do in Atlanta. I'm not even a big sports nut; I just love going to baseball games--the fans, the field, the ball park food, "Take Me Out to the Ballgame," the cheesy between-inning contests--I love it all. Another bonus today: the weather was perfect, high 70s with a light breeze.

Not a bad way to begin the summer.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Seems interesting!
I love macaroni and cheese!!!

RealTimShady said...

I think I've told you my favorite experience from the Renaissance Festival: two gay leathermen in short-shorts w/ spike collars around their necks, one leading a pit bull (also w/ a spike collar) on a leash and the other carrying a python or some sort of large snake.

This leads me to...Gilmore Girls and the subplot about Luke's sister and brother-in-law who actually work the Ren Fest circuit.

And, finally, Javy Lopez and other Braves/baseball players -- so tall! I never realize how tall they are in person, but when I met Chipper Jones in person -- so dang tall.