Thursday, June 08, 2006

1984: Not for those wanting a restful night's sleep

It has been a long time since a book caused me to have nightmares--not since Island of the Blue Dolphins, which I read in probably the 5th grade, and I didn't even finish it because I couldn't bear to read any more of it. (I'll just say that separation from family and complete isolation were paralyzing fears when I was that age.)

And then I read 1984. Last night, I made the rather unfortunate choice of making my "stopping point" for the evening right after the big climactic scene (spoiler alert) where Winston and Julia are captured by the Thought Police for rebelling against the Party.

So in my dreams last night, I was being chased by the Thought Police for what seemed like hours. At one point, I stopped my car at a railroad crossing and ran. Throughout the chase, various friends, Darryl, and even a couple of students handed me slips of paper with important messages on them (this was a communication method used in the book), and I would have to hide from the "eyes" of the telescreen to read my secret messages.

I finished 1984 a couple of hours ago, and I'm letting a little more time pass before heading to bed. I read some even more disturbing passages this evening, and I really don't want to dream about being torturned until I confess I love Big Brother.

No comments: