Friday, June 02, 2006

Books, books, and more books

One of the things I'll be doing this summer is reading. This fall, I'm taking on the new challenge of teaching a Pre-AP 10th Grade English class, and I must confess, I have either A) never read these books, or B) read them so long ago that I definitely need to refresh my memory.

These are the ones that I MUST read this summer, as they are the books assigned for summer reading:
1. A Separate Peace--I'm going to make a big 'ol confession here and admit that I have never read this book. I'm looking forward to reading it, though.
2. A Farewell to Arms--This is one that I started reading "for fun" when I was in high school, made it about halfway through, and never finished. I took a Hemingway course in grad school, and while my professor had us read everything from Death in the Afternoon to For Whom the Bell Tolls, he dismissed Farewell as "rubbish."
3. The Old Man and the Sea--I last read this one when I was in the 10th grade.
4. Of Mice and Men--I've read this one, too, but a long time ago.

Other books I should try to read before the busy-ness of the semester takes over even though these books don't come up until later in the year:
5. A Tale of Two Cities--I hate Dickens. Because of that, I haven't read this book. I have a feeling that I will be living "the worst of times" as I read it.
6. Julius Caesar--Not my favorite Shakespeare play, but I can deal with it.

AND, other books I need to read because I would like to use them with my seniors:
7. Grendel--I have read just part of it, and while I'm not crazy about it yet, I do think I will be able to do some cool things with it as a follow-up to Beowulf.
8. 1984--I'm reading this now. At first, I was a bit lukewarm about it, but now I'm really into it (I'm about halfway through).

Does anyone have any strong feelings about these? You get bonus points if you can get me psyched up about Tale of Two Cities.

4 comments:

Jess said...

The only one on your list I've read is the Old Man & the Sea (back in high school)...I wanted to drown myself in the sea before I finished it. Have fun!

RealTimShady said...

It was the best of summers, it was the worst of summers.

RealTimShady said...

Serious up, Amy...when you get to be completely in charge of this class, I think your first priority should be to change the reading list. I'm down with A Separate Peace and Of Mice and Men and I understand the tradition associated with 10th Graders reading Julius Caesar, but the rest of that stuff...gross.

Amy said...

Word.