Thursday, July 13, 2006

New Book Club Selection and Other Things

Today my book club met to discuss Anita Shreve's A Wedding in December, a book that I gave a "thumbs down" to in an earlier post. As a group, we gave the book a C-, feeling that the characters were annoying brats. A couple of ladies in the group had read some of her other books and felt that this one was very poor in comparison. I haven't read any of Shreve's books except this one. Our next book is Snow Flower and the Secret Fan by Lisa See, but I told the group I might have to bow out on that one in order to finish reading some things I need to read for school.

On a different note, last night I had dinner with Lisa, a friend from a law firm I worked at when Darryl and I first moved to Georgia several years ago. Anyway, I hadn't seen Lisa in about six months (too long!), and we had a great time chatting it up at Monterrey's, a Mexican restaurant that used to be one of our favorite dining spots. She's getting married in November (yay!), I enjoyed hearing her plans. I can't wait for the big event!

And one other random thing...if you are a fan of Food Network, you HAVE to watch Paula's European Vacation. It's hilarious! I've decided I want to go to Europe with Paula because we seem to share a common belief: traveling=eating. Seriously, you need to catch it--it's a hoot!

3 comments:

RealTimShady said...

We watched Paula's European Vacation last weekend and had a great time. We especially loved Paula and the rotisserie chicken man at the market (and, of course, the big surprise roof-top ending)!

Amy said...

Yes, the rotisserie part was great. Paula likes to get her flirt on, doesn't she?

Anonymous said...

I thought we were going to collapse from laughing so hard at "The Guns of Navarone"!