Sunday, July 02, 2006

The Happiest Place on Earth

Nope, I haven't fallen off the face of the earth, but I've been to "the happiest place on earth"...Disney World! Darryl and I went with Darryl's family to Orlando on the first ever family vacation. There were ten of us: Darryl and me; Darryl's dad (Benny); Darryl's brother (Dayton), wife (Daphne), and their two kids (Cameron, 8, and Savannah, 5); Darryl's sister (Ashley), her husband (Wayne), and their daughter (Madison, 16 months). Got all that?

We had a great time staying at the Pop Century Resort at Disney World. Let me tell you, if you are planning to go to DW, even for just one day, it is completely worth it to stay at one of their hotels. Even though our hotel was not close enough to use the monorail system, we did have the use of a bus that took us anywhere we wanted to go on the Disney property, and the day we went to the Magic Kingdom, we really enjoyed whizzing past the cars and being taken right to the gate.

Thursday, Darryl and I drove to Florida and met up with his family in Lake City. The trip was pretty uneventful until we got about 50 miles from Orlando, where the traffic was stopped for about 45 minutes because of a tree that fell in the road. This is a picture of Cameron and Savannah passing time in the car until we could start moving again:

Once we (finally) made it to Orlando and checked in at the hotel, we went to Downtown Disney. Darryl got into the Disney spirit a bit early and (reluctantly) agreed to let me post this pic:


Friday was our big day at the Magic Kingdom. Here's a picture of all of us in front of the oh-so-magical Cinderella's Castle:

And here we are on Splash Mountain. (I am actually riding with my niece Savannah, but you can't see her because she chose to "enjoy" Splash Mountain with her face buried in Aunt Amy's knee.)


Here are some other various shots of my nieces and nephew--I'm just showing them off because I think they happen to be pretty cute:


One of the things I realized about Disney World is that it is one of those places that seemed much bigger when I was a kid. Now it doesn't seem nearly as overwhelming, and rides that were once thrilling to me, such as the Peter Pan ride, seemed kind of, well, dinky. That being said, however, I have to say that it was fun seeing the kids get really excited about everything. One of the thrills for me was that I rode Space Mountain (twice!), something I had never done before because I was too little the last time I was at DW. And I'll never forget how little Madison danced and clapped her hands and oohed and aahed at "It's a Small World," which is still great, by the way. I also was surprised that the park wasn't as unbearably hot as I was anticipating, and I think the longest we had to wait for a ride was about 20 minutes--not too bad.

Saturday, we went to Sea World. If you haven't been there lately, it has changed a good bit. Sure, Shamu is there as well as all his other sea friends, but there are now a couple of thrilling rides (such as the roller coaster Kraken, which was pretty much was the conclusion of Wayne's and my thrill seeking for the trip because of its nauseating effects, if you get my drift). I do have some good Sea World pics, but I'm tired of loading pics to my blog. I may post some more tomorrow.

Anyway, we came back today after a really fun time with our family. I'll leave you with one last pic of Madison as she was leaving the hotel pool. That girl LOVES water and is already really good at kicking her legs and propelling herself where she wants to go. This picture is so cute I couldn't resist posting it:

3 comments:

Amy said...

No, he didn't buy the hat (thank goodness). He did, however, end up having to buy a safari-type hat to keep the sun off his face--this is the hat featured in the pics of Cameron and Madison. I think it made Darryl look like a tour guide for the Jungle Cruise.

RealTimShady said...

And thank goodness you didn't die on Space Mountain.

Anonymous said...

We really enjoyed our trip to DW. It was fun spending time with you and Darryl. Can't wait for another vacation.