Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Latest Pet Peeve...and More about the View

I don't know if this is something new or if it is something that has been going on for awhile and I just haven't been subjected to it before, but my latest pet peeve is doctors' offices leaving appoint reminder voicemails that request I call to confirm I received the reminder. What happened to the good ol' days when the office just left a reminder? Now I have to call to say I got the reminder? This has happened to me twice this summer, and both times were a hassle.

Earlier in June, I had this happen with my dentist. When I called to confirm my reminder, I got a voicemail that told me NOT to leave a message, but to call back later. After about five tries throughout the day, someone finally answered the phone. Then yesterday, when I called to confirm a different doctor's reminder, I was transferred to five different departments, including the ER! Then when I finally got to the "right" person, and I just told her I was calling to confirm, she said, "Okay," to which I replied, "Don't you need my name?"

I'm sure there is a good reason why doctors' offices are doing this now--maybe too many people weren't showing up and were insisting they were never reminded...I don't know. But if the offices have to do this, the least they can do is have a system in place to receive the call. That's not to much to ask, is it???

On a completely different note...I am addicted to The View now. Listen, if you want some daytime drama, don't turn on the soaps--turn on Barbara Walters's debacle. I'm convinced that there is a plan to replace the youngest member of the team, the conservative Elisabeth Hasselback. I'm sure guests are booked weeks in advance, but since Star's departure, it seems that the guests have been one super-liberal guest (like Sandra Bernhardt) after another, and super-conservative Elisabeth takes the bait every single time and ends up getting into a little catfight with each one--and BW has to intervene every time. I can't wait to see what happens when Rosie joins this group!

Even though I've never been a big View fan--well, at least until now--one of the things I did like about the show is that the panel was made of different women from different walks of life who offer different--dare I say it?--views. I just think that to make the youngest (and more inexperienced) one the "conservative" one is like leading the lamb to the slaughter. I've also noticed that whenever the ladies are seated on the couch with a guest and there are too many people to get in the camera shot, Elisabeth is always the one cut out of the shot. Coincidence? I think not. I'm betting the Elisabeth doesn't make it through the year.

3 comments:

RealTimShady said...

Ignorant super-conservative lambs deserve to be lead to the slaughter. Poor Elisabeth? Whatever. We need something on television -- even if it's only The View -- that allows for some liberal grandstanding. Maybe Baby Elisabeth needs to enroll in the Ann Coulter Charm School?

Amy said...

I think she has already enrolled in AC's Charm School. :)

I'm not defending EH by any means--I just think that if they want a conservative viewpoint on the show, then at least have it from someone who isn't as "ignorant" as E so there can at least be some decent discussion.

I think of myself as "moderate"--liberal on some issues and more conservative on others--so I like well-reasoned people from both ends of the spectrum. Sadly, the show doesn't offer that.

Jenny said...

I feel embarrassed for her quite a bit. She's so easy to rattle.