Thursday, July 31, 2008

Last Week of Summer

This is the third blog post I've started this week. My goal is to finish this one and actually post it.

This week has been pretty full.

Monday, I crossed one of the items off "my list" by having photos done of Amelia. A friend from church is a photographer, and while I haven't seen the finished products yet, he showed me a couple of shots on the playback screen of his camera and they were totally cute. Amelia was pretty pleasant through the process, so I'm hoping the pictures turn out well.

Tuesday, I went to the school one last time before I go back tomorrow for the real thing. I was able to get a good bit accomplished, so I consider it time well spent.

Yesterday, Amelia and I had a lazy morning and stayed in our PJs until almost noon. I had wanted to take her swimming one more time, but thunderclouds were looming overhead all afternoon, so we strolled through a shopping center instead. It never did rain, though, and Darryl was able to take her swimming and I went to dinner with my friend Sabrina.

Today, Amelia and I went to see my cousin Vicky at her office, and then we spent my $100 Georgia Teacher Gift Card. My big item was a heavy-duty electric pencil sharpener. (Exciting, I know.) I've also decided to bring back good ol' journal writing in my regular English classes this year, and I found 70-page composition notebooks at Walmart for 5 cent each, so I bought 75 of them. Thank goodness the cashier scanned only one and took my word that I had 75 of them. :) Seriously, y'all, that was a BARGAIN! I was practically giddy. The rest of my card went to pens, pencils, index cards, and other little necessity items.

The rest of the day was spent playing, napping, and just hanging out. I'm going to confess that I held Amelia every minute she was napping.

I'm probably going to sound like a big sap here, but I think I may have a harder time taking Amelia to daycare tomorrow than I did the very first time I took her after my maternity leave. It's like my mom said on the phone tonight...it's like Amelia is a person now. Now I'm taking my daughter who loves to crawl, stop, then look back at me and laugh. I'm taking back my baby who likes to fiddle with my necklace charm as she falls to sleep and play peek-a-boo endlessly. In many ways, I'm looking forward to going back to work and seeing my friends and getting back in the classroom. But I'm definitely going to miss the luxury of time I've had with my girl.

3 comments:

Kristy said...

If you can't be a SAHM, teaching is the next best thing! I know what you mean, though, as they grow & become more active, you really get to know them as a little person. It's such a special time. Just imagine how she'll be into the fall and near Christmas! More fun is to come, I promise! :)

We've had lots of fun this summer, and it's always hard to go back. I owe, I owe, it's off to work I go...

Jenny said...

Aww, I know what you mean. It was so hard taking the boys (especially Jake) to daycare this week. Good luck with all those emotions next week!

PS I love the deal you got on those composition books! I'm jealous.

Kristy said...

Okay, okay, I updated my blog. It's not very interesting, but I hope to have more up later in the week. Have you seen Mama Mia? I absolutely loved it!