Thursday, July 17, 2008

Baking and More Baking

Today was Amelia's daycare day. (And no, I wasn't one of "those" mothers who take sick children to daycare...Amelia appears to be fine.) I decided to make this a "me day." Did I want to shop? No. Did I want to nap? Well, kind of. But really what I wanted to do was bake a couple of things from my new cookbook, Dorie Greenspan's Baking: From My Home to Yours. We're heading to Florida again this weekend, and I wanted to take a couple of things that both adults and kids might enjoy.

The first recipe I tried was "Chewy, Chunky Blondies," a delicious combination of butterscotch, chocolate, coconut, and walnuts in a cookie dough-ish batter. I do think I baked them just a hair too long (I blame it on the fact that the blondies didn't do what they were supposed to--pull away from the sides of the pan--to indicate their doneness), but they are still pretty good, especially with a scoop of ice cream.



Later, I made just good old-fashioned chocolate chip cookies (from the same cookbook). I love chocolate chip cookies (seriously, who doesn't?), and I always like to try new recipes for them. These are good, a bit thinner than I like my cookies, and I think I prefer a sweeter chocolate than the bittersweet chocolate the recipe calls for, but that's just a personal preference. The cookies still taste really good, though, and I would make both these recipes again.

I also made stuffed bell peppers for dinner. And picked Amelia up from daycare, fed her, and rocked her to sleep. And I did laundry.

I'm every woman. I know. :)

Now I'm tired.

(I would like to add that Darryl did help feed her--it took two attempts because she was CRANKY the first time--and he also bathed her and tried to rock her to sleep. That, too, took two attempts. I just wanted to clarify that my husband wasn't just sitting on the couch, eating bonbons while I was being every woman.)

2 comments:

Kristy said...

So are you saying that Darryl is also a contender for "every woman?" LOL

We are heading through your neck of the woods on the way to the mountains this weekend. We SO need the break! Your cookies would make a great snack for the trip, so I may get to baking as well. Not only are you every woman, but you are also inspiring! :)

One glitch, my van of 189,000 is finally on its last leg...so it's two days of car searching so hopefully we don't have to drive the gas hog!

Amy said...

I just wanted to say that he's the man behind the every woman. :) You can't be every woman if you don't have a good man for support! (I so hope Darryl reads this.)

If only I had known you were car shopping...Darryl LOVES to haggle with car dealers. I'm not kidding. It's sport to him.

Enjoy your trip!!! If we were going to be here, I would give you lots of goodies for the trip. Just another reason to bake!!