Wednesday, July 09, 2008

Book Notes: The Tenth Circle by Jodi Picoult

Last night I finished The Tenth Circle by Jodi Picoult. This was the second book I've read by her (I can't remember the title of the previous one and I'm too lazy too look it up...that's how much I liked it; it wasn't My Sister's Keeper or Nineteen Minutes), and here's the deal: something about her books annoys me. I do remember that with the first book, the plot was often hokey in parts; with The Tenth Circle, I was completely annoyed with the ending. I'm not one who has to have endings tied up in a neat bow; however, this book left too much up in the air at the end.

I did record the Lifetime movie of this starring Kelly Preston, but I've yet to watch it.

As the mother of a daughter, I did learn one lesson from this book: When a teenage Amelia says she's going to some friend's house to spend the night, I am so calling that friend's mother to confirm. The girl in this story was up to a lot of shenanigans, y'all.

My next book on the list is Atonement, a book I began last summer but ended up stopping because school started. Tim hails it as one of the best books he's ever read, and I think Max and Jen like it too, so I have higher hopes for this one.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Atonement was good, but I didn't like the ending.

Jenny said...

Atonement is a gut punch. In a good way. :) Enjoy!

Kristy said...

I'm glad someone is doing some grown-up reading this summer. Rebekah & I have been reading Strawberry Girl. Next is Little House in the Big Woods followed by a "novel" from the Babysitter's Club. Ah, the joys of summer reading to prepare for 3rd grade! We take turns reading pages from SG, & Rebekah totally cracks up at my ability to read the deep southern dialect. Although, I don't know WHAT she's laughing at with her southern drawl!!