Sunday, July 13, 2008

Our Getaway!!

Because my mom was in town and insisted she could take care of Amelia for 24 hours by herself, we took advantage of the opportunity to have a night to ourselves! Going to a nice restaurant! Staying in a hotel! Having a full night's sleep! Woohoo!

First, let me say that Amelia, who turned 8 months old yesterday, decided to accomplish the major milestone of pulling up to a standing position by herself about 45 minutes after we left the house:

Figures.

Anyway, our first stop was the new World of Coke museum. We just wanted something to do that was "different" and that wouldn't kill the whole afternoon. I guess the museum is worth a visit; it kept us entertained. And the kids there seemed to enjoy it a great deal. However, if any of you had been to the old one...I think the old one was better. To me, one of the cool things about the old museum was the coke that shot in the air from one side of the room to the other in the tasting exhibit. The new one doesn't do that. :( That made me sad.

After the museum we got settled in our hotel room at Twelve, which is located at Atlantic Station. Twelve is a fairly new hotel that really markets its "modern" decor. We actually had a suite (all Twelve has is suites), and it probably would have been really great for a week's stay; the kitchenette featured new, stainless steel appliances and the furniture was really modern. The TVs were flat screens. However, what struck us most about the decor was how it just felt unfinished...bare concrete in places, a wooden ceiling that still had the builders' notes written in pencil on the wood. Interesting. Oh, and our room featured a spectacular view of the really strange Roman-like arch in the middle of it all, which apparently is the Millennium Gateway of Atlanta. Whatever. Here's Darryl looking at the Millennium Gateway from our balcony. Is it me, or is that arch just a bit out of place?
Last night we had a wonderful, fabulous dinner at The Capital Grille in Buckhead. We have been there a few times before and have enjoyed it, but I think last night's dinner was the best yet. I swear I have never been this full after dinner, not even after Thanksgiving. We started out with prosciutto-wrapped mozzarella with tomatoes. Holy cow. There are no words to describe it. Simple, but good. Then we shared a crock of French onion soup. Even if you are not a big French onion soup person, you might like theirs. It is hands-down the best I've ever tasted. I was already feeling full by this point, but we went on with our entrees; I had the beef filet and Darryl had the Delmonico ribeye. Again, delicious. I ate probably half of mine, though, because I wanted dessert, which was coconut cream pie. I love coconut cream pie, period, but this was fabulous. The crust was wonderful; my guess is that it possibly had some cake mix in the crust--which may sound weird--but it tasted very similar to the crust on the cream cheese bars I make, and that crust has cake mix in it. Anyway...I thought I was going to have to be fork-lifted out of the restaurant. (Also, is it just me, but when you eat a lot at a restaurant--like A LOT--do you almost feel as though you need to say to the waiter, "I don't normally eat like this" or "I haven't eaten anything all day." I don't say these things, but I really, really want to.)

After eating that delicious dinner, we walked around Atlantic Station for a while. The walk did absolutely nothing in making us feel less miserably full, however.

But of course, this morning (and I'd like to add that my eyes popped open at 6:30 on the morning I had an opportunity to sleep in!), we ate breakfast. We went to Silver Skillet, which is this old diner-style restaurant that is known for its good hearty breakfasts. The fare is pretty standard, but it was delicious, too. (I know... you may be marveling over the fact that we could even hold food at this point.)

Then we came home. It was wonderful to have some "us time," and we hope to do it again soon. And, of course we were happy to see our girl when we returned!

7 comments:

Kristy said...

Did you read the section on the Atlantic Station link, that this Rodney Cook, Jr. guy raised $15 mil in private funds to create the "Millennium Gateway?" No wonder people laugh at us whining about gas prices, when there are those who can contribute to such endeavors. Is Amelia signed up for FIO360, the newest, hippest, greenest childcare center in Atlantic Station?? It amazes me that there are enough people able to afford places like that, but I live in teacher-land.

Glad you had an awesome time! I loved the old Coke museum. Where is the new one?

YAY, Amelia!!! You now have SO much more to get into. :)

Kristy said...

Me again! I checked out the Capital Grill site...YUM!! I love French onion soup, but how do you choose?? That hot dog we ate at church for our VBS kick-off was even more disappointing after reading their menu!! :)

Amy said...

Kristy, the new one is next to the aquarium, CNN, etc...it's all in the same area together now.

I saw the article about the daycare. You know Amelia was first on the list!! :)

Jenny said...

That gateway does look out of place, but it reminded me of Paris, which reminded me of what I read about the Eiffel tower. When that went up, there was complete outrage over "the ugly thing". :) I can see their point. Can you imagine?

I have never been to a Coke museum. I don't get out much.

Your night out sounds heavenly.

Anonymous said...

One small correction to your post.

That was a cement ceiling, It looked like plywood because the cement is poured on top of the plywood. The cement had the grain of the plywood and the lead from where the contractors wrote on the plywood was on the concrete too.

Amy said...

Okay, well...

And here I was thinking you were going to write a sweet post about how much you enjoyed your night out with the love of your life...

:)

Anonymous said...

I would not want to damage my reputation!! JA