Sunday, May 20, 2007

A Busy Week!

Finally I have a chance to catch my breath and post about the last week. I decided just to tackle all this in one long post, but I'll use subheadings so you can read whatever interests you.

Mother's Day Weekend. My parents came up last weekend for Mother's Day. My dad helped Darryl with building a storage shed in the wooded area behind our house. (Our hope is to move everything out of our office into the storage building so we can make the office the baby's room.) My mom and I went maternity clothes shopping, and that really deserves its own subheading. Sunday, we met my Uncle Len, Aunt Jeana, and their one-year-old son, Larson, at Lake Lanier for a Mother's Day brunch. All in all, it was a really good weekend and Darryl and I enjoyed spending time with our family.

Maternity Clothes Shopping. Look, this was completely new territory for me. I'm in that wonderful in-between stage of being too big for my regular clothes, but not quite big enough for maternity clothes. Anyway, I found some really good sales, and I was actually able to buy quite a few things for not too much money. The highlight of the shopping had to be when we went to JCPenney and were strolling through the racks of clothes, and then suddenly I noticed a sign on one the racks that said, "Doorbuster Sale! All maternity clothes 50% until 1:00!" It was 12:30. My mom and I tore through the clothes, grabbing anything and everything that looked remotely cute or fashionable (well, fashionable for maternity clothes). We ran to the dressing room and managed to get everything tried on--we had a wonderfully efficient system going--and I was able to check out by 1:00. I actually was able to find several things there, so the mad rush was definitely worth it.

I've also decided that after my maternity pants have served their conventional purpose, they will become my Thanksgiving pants. :)

Academic Banquet. This was the first year I was in charge of our school's academic banquet. (I inherited this from a teacher who left this year and Tim encouraged me to do it, saying that I should have a "niche.") This was a pretty big undertaking, but for the most part, things went pretty smoothly. One of the things I was most nervous about was the food; the caterer who has covered this event for the past zillion years couldn't do it this year, so we decided to go the route of a (cheaper) dessert-only reception, and from what I hear, people really liked it. The biggest annoyance was the low teacher turnout. If I had blogged about this earlier in the week, you would have probably gotten a 5-paragraph tirade about that, but I have since mellowed a bit and let it go. I will just say this: for a school that consistently sends the message that athletics is (are?) more important than academics, that message is just reinforced when the coaching staff AND many of the other teachers don't show up to the banquet that celebrates academic achievement. Okay, I guess I haven't let it go completely.

Class Night Music. I don't want you to think I'm completely down on our school, because I'm not, but Friday night I had to participate in the ridiculous tradition called Class Night. It is a very long program at which the senior "prophecies" are revealed and the students read their Last Will and Testaments. Then this even more ridiculous song is sung while the seniors leave the stage and the juniors take their place. This ceremony will probably never die. Never. Anyway, I had to play the piano for it because our chorus teacher had to tend to personal business. I didn't mind playing at all, but I didn't really enjoy the 2-1/2 hour practice that it required.

I also have to confess that I really enjoyed wearing the headset with the microphone (is that what it's called?). I was backstage and couldn't see anything, so Tim, Kim, and the other people running the show were able to communicate with me this way. I think that if I ever take on another profession, I will look for something where I get to use one of these on an every day basis.

June 15. That's the day I get to find out if we're having a boy or girl. I can't wait! I had a routine check-up the other day, though, and everything sounds good.

TV. I watched TV for about 6 hours yesterday. I figured I deserved it after my extremely busy week. I bawled through the Gilmore Girls finale (I'll miss you, Lorelei and Rory!), and then I had to watch The Office to cheer me up. I also watched the last two episodes of Grey's Anatomy--what a depressing season ender!

This week. Finally, the last week of school is here! We pretty much have just exams left, thank goodness. This week will be almost as busy, though, with more senior activities and graduation. The end is in sight, though!

4 comments:

Jenny said...

June 15th is Luke's birthday! :) Good luck! That so exciting! I predict that you are having a boy.

We have exams and graduation this week as well. Graduation night is Wed. (Lost's finale, of course...)

I wish I had a Tivo, or fake Tivo.

RealTimShady said...

1. You went out for brunch on Mother's Day?!? Please tell me that you had a reservation and did not wait hours for a table. Mother's Day is one of those days when I avoid restaurants.
2. When I try to envision your JC Penney experience, I'm getting sitcom physical comedy -- throwing items over the dressing room door and many pratfalls to get to just the right item. (Also, I want some Thanksgiving pants.)
3. Academic Banquet was a success, fear not.
4. Your playing at Class Night was also a success (despite the fact that the event itself is an hour of ridiculousness).
5. I've marked June 15 on my calendar. Will it be little DJ or little DeAcura LaLexus?
6. The Office gets a B- for this season -- a bit uneven, sort of floundering.
7. How stupid am I to be collecting 53 research papers TOMORROW!?!

Amy said...

Jen, you must get a Tivo (or fake Tivo). It will change your life. :) And about the baby--I was having a gut feeling that it's a girl, but lately I've been having dreams that it's a boy. I'll take either, of course!

Tim, the JCPenney experience was very Lucy-and-Ethel. Your mental picture probably isn't too far from the real thing.

I also agree about The Office. I thought it was uneven as well. (Also, I don't like Jim's new haircut because now he looks like an ex-boyfriend whom I would really like to forget.)

Oh, and yes, we had reservations for MD Brunch. No wait at all.

I, too, will be getting papers tomorrow, but only 13 instead of 53. I offer my condolences.

Anonymous said...

Ok, since I have had so many babies, let me weigh in on yours...it's a girl. Let me also offer the name that we didn't use:
LaKeisha Janae! (Eddie has spent way too much time in court.)

Thought your playing was beautimus on Friday. The only reason we hang out in the theatre is to use the headsets. Remember: Tech Theatre, welcome to the dark side!

Good luck finding maternity clothes without all those awful bows!

Can't wait until it is all over!