Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Someone make me feel better...

...especially if you are a teacher. I have two teaching situations right now that have me frustrated, worried, and down on myself.

Situation 1: I have kid in my Honors class who is very disruptive...not "mean disruptive," but "class-clown-no-self-awareness disruptive." The problem is that he doesn't know when to stop. I love funny students as much as anyone, but this kid constantly blurts out ridiculous things to get us off track, and what's more is that he is in a class with other extroverted, obnoxious personalities, so it doesn't take much to get everyone off track. I've talked with other teachers who have him, and they say that he hardly says a word in their classes and are shocked when I tell them these things. Well, I've just tried to deal with it as much as possible, but today I had enough and emailed the parents. The mother responded to my email, telling me how shocked she is and how she has never received any kind of notification like this (and I believe her, based on what other teachers have said). So here is my fear: is it me??? Have I done something to make this kid want to be this way in my classroom? Do I not exhibit any kind of authority to him? I am really, really down on myself about it. Has anyone been in this situation? I truly have a pretty good reputation of being liked by students (not to toot my own horn), but seriously...what's the deal here? Why me? Why my class? Is it possibly the combination of personalities in that class? Has anyone been in this situation?

Situation 2: In an attempt to be creative and different, I've assigned my honors students different parts of a Greek play to perform with costumes, props, etc. But the problem is that one of my classes (the same one the kid mentioned above is in) is made up of kids who can be very offensive and kids who are easily offended. So now one of the groups with several "offensive" kids in it has decided to do a "gangsta" interpretation of their play, and I overheard a couple of kids who are "easily offended" say that they are, indeed, offended. I have tried to reel in the offenders (I do think it is possible to do "gangsta" without crossing the line), but who knows what will happen. I'm just praying now that I don't get any parent complaints. That's the last thing I need. And this all just makes me mad because my intentions were to think outside the box and do something different. I've done similar projects before with no issues like these whatsoever. Now I feel dumb for trying something new and seriously hope I don't end up being on the evening news.

Why can't kids just, you know, BEHAVE??????

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't even know what "gangsta" means, but it sounds like something that should not be allowed. Are you sure you want to do this until you retire?

Jenny said...

I would tell them not to do "gangsta" if you have a bad vibe about it. Usually that inner voice is right.

I am in the exact same boat with one child in my adv. class---but instead of an email, I'm having to deal with a parent/teacher conference tomorrow. Ugh.

I'm sending you a long distance BUMP/HUG and I mean bump as in Obama bump.

Amy said...

My Mom--"Gangsta" is "Gangster." If done tactfully, it can be funny. It can also involve racial stereotyping if not done tactfully. And no, I'm not sure I can do this until I retire.

Jen--This mom suggested she wants a conference, too. And, unfortunately, these performances are tomorrow, so I can't really call off the gangsta performance. I think I'm going to have to follow Tim's advice and just stop the performance if it takes a wrong turn. Then at least I've done my part.

And I return your fist BUMP--go get 'em in that conference, girl!

Amy said...

And...I also have to add that the ones who are offended also need to get a sense of humor at times and understand intent.

Kristy said...

Educate me...what's a BUMP? Our folks have no idea what our classrooms are like these days!