Thursday, August 17, 2006

Jinx

I'm probably jinxing myself, but so far, school is going very well. I haven't graded any significant work from these seniors yet, so I can't really judge their academic abilities, but as far as class behavior goes, they are fairly low maintenance. (I did just jinx myself, didn't I?) I have only one class that presents a real challenge, and their problem is just that the class is big and they really, really, really like to talk. The class is mostly made up of some rowdy (but basically good) boys...and they all have chosen to sit on the front row!

Today, we read "The Wife of Bath's Tale" from The Canterbury Tales. For those of you not familiar with the story, I'll spare you most of the details, but at the end of the story, the knight is presented with a choice: the old, ugly woman he is obligated to marry can remain old and ugly, but faithful, or she can be young and pretty, but unfaithful. The knight tells the old woman that she can make the decision, and as a "reward" for letting her make the decision, he gets the best of both worlds: she is young, pretty, and faithful. At that point, one of my rowdy boys piped up and said, "He won BOTH showcases on The Price is Right!" Hey, at least he was paying attention...

My Pre-AP sophomores are doing well. They are a bit silly, but I like them. The down side is that the class is killing me as far as prep time goes; most of my evenings are spent researching and thinking up different class activities.

Speaking of that, I better get back to it...

5 comments:

Jenny said...

:) Love the rowdy boyz.

Jenny said...

Do you have the Wife of Bath's tale in your textbook or is it something you copied for them?

Amy said...

It is in an old textbook that I have a class set of. The version includes a very shortened prologue to her tale along with the tale itself. I think that so far, that one has been the favorite. (We just read 3 of them, though--"The Pardoner's," "The W of B's," and, yes, "The Miller's."

Anonymous said...

Don't let Amy fool you. Amy's favorite was taking the dixie cup and holding it under the fountain.

Amy said...

Um, Darryl meant to put that comment in on my weekend post where I discussed the chocolate fountain. :)