Monday, August 14, 2006

The Daily Grind

I'm having a difficult time getting back in the swing of things, and this would explain my lack of posting over the past few days. I had to take 30-minute power naps both Thursday and Friday afternoons--the first two days of school--and I went to bed by 10 Friday evening.

Anyway, here is the nutshell version of the past few days:

  • Saturday was a productive day for me. I spent about four hours grading summer reading assignments, split into a morning shift at Atlanta Bread Company and an afternoon shift at Starbucks. Somewhere between the two shifts I enjoyed a power nap and lunch. Oh, that evening, I watched Shall We Dance?, which had been sitting around on my fake TiVo for about a month. I wasn't sure I would like the movie--I'm not a J.Lo fan--but I really found myself enjoying it. I think many people can relate to the need to find a passion for something, and I also felt that the movie gave a poignant--and dare I say almost realistic--portrayal of marriage. And on a trivial note, Richard Gere was especially hot in this movie. (There was one scene beween him and Lopez that made me gag because it was so cheesy, but what "dance" movie isn't complete without the token "sexy" dance scene?)
  • Sunday was a day of errands, for the most part, but we did end the day by going to a great "Honey-Do" wedding shower for a friend that Darryl worked with at his old job. The house was beautiful (I want a front porch like that one day), and the food was delicious--chicken skewers, mac n' cheese, squash casserole, deviled eggs, and salad.

Other notes:

  • Today was an "off" teaching day for me. I kept getting tongue-tied, and I just felt off my game. I've gotta mix it up tomorrow. Even my Pre-AP class, which has been a delight so far, seemed disorganized and flailing. Geez.
  • I'm excited about the return of Celebrity Fit Club on VH1. This is one of my guilty pleasure shows. I like the group this season, pehaps because they include some nostalgic favorites: Tina Yothers from Family Ties, Carnie Wilson from Wilson Phillips (yes, back in the day, I loved me some Wilson Phillips--I had the cassette), and Ted Lange from Love Boat. Awesome.
  • My computer has died again. I think the "fix" last time was just a band-aid to get my stuff backed up. While I do feel a bit lost typing this on Darryl's Dell, I'm not as distressed this time around because I learned my lesson from the last crash and saved my stuff on either CDs or a jump drive. I miss my Mac, though.

Time to fix dinner. My goal is to make it through the day with no power nap.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ah, passion for something...the topic of our class discussion in advanced on Friday...jump started by the title of our show, "Heart's Desire"...very interesting, and fairly deep for juniors and seniors. Remind me to send you some George Bernard Shaw stuff.