Thursday, June 21, 2007

Big Daddy the Clueless One

(Before I begin this post, I want again to clarify that I'm not turning this into an "all baby" blog, but this story is too good to pass up.)

So Darryl and I are taking a Labor & Delivery class, and our first meeting was tonight. (The class meets one night a week for four weeks.) Yes, we know it is early in the game, but this class would be really difficult to do once school starts, and it is something I can check off the "to do" list.

Our class is made up of about nine couples, and it is just like the classes you see on TV--mats on the floor, teacher who talks in a soothing voice...the whole shebang.

Anyway, one of the couples is this guy and girl who look like they are in their mid-20s, and he had kind of a scruffy look and was wearing a ball cap. (Darryl noticed later that his nametag had his real name, and then under that he had written "Big Daddy.")

The teacher started mentioning everything we would cover in class, and she said that at some point we would talk about C-sections so we would know what to expect in case any of us have to have one.

Big Daddy's hand shot up in the air.

Big Daddy: I have a question about C-sections. How many births are C-sections?
Teacher: About one in four.
Big Daddy: Wow. Really?
Teacher: Yes.
Big Daddy: Is it true that a woman has to have a C-section if she has an STD?
(Big Daddy's significant other turns red, says something through her teeth, and punches him in the leg.)

Seriously, y'all--I was embarrassed for the girl. I could feel my face turning red when he asked that question. Couldn't that have been a question saved for, oh, the doctor or after class?

(I also feel the need to add here that I'm not judging anyone for having an STD, but I seriously doubt that is how a person would like to be introduced to a group of strangers that the person is stuck with for four weeks.)

Then, about 10 minutes later when we had to introduce ourselves, he made some comment like, "We ain't known each other very long." Okay.

Big Daddy continued to ask questions for the duration of the class, ranging from "Is breastfeeding hard?" to "If a baby is breech and starts coming out and the doctor has to do a C-section, do they just cram the legs back in?"

I think it is going to be an interesting class. And I have a feeling that I will have future posts about Big Daddy.

6 comments:

Jess said...

Is this guy for real?! That is HYSTERICAL!! He sounds like quite an, uh, interesting character!
As for me- girl, we just want any suggestions for songs. I think I want the recessional music to be something really upbeat & fun, but I don't really have any thoughts about the dance. Clueless, I tell you!! Help!

Amy said...

Oh, he's for real, Jess. And he will have offspring.

RealTimShady said...

One day we will teach Child of Big Daddy. (Quite possibly, we also taught Big Daddy -- or some close approximation.)

Amy said...

Tim, that thought crossed my mind.

No worries, though--I'm sure our Health teacher will be sure to give Child of Big Daddy the STD Word Scramble.

Jenny said...

Awesome. I love Big Daddy. I love some dumb people entertainment!!!! :) I remember one lady pooted during our birth class. It was so hard not to laugh.

Anonymous said...

I am going to get Darryl a "Big Daddy Wanna Be" hat!