Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Back from the mountains

Saturday, Darryl and I left with my parents for a cabin in the mountains near Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg. My aunt Winifred; cousin Andy and his wife, Leigh, and daughter, Lily; and Aunt Winifred's nephew Clint were staying in another cabin about a mile from us. We had a great time hanging out together and having a good, relaxing time. Unfortunately, I took very few pictures (I'm terrible), so I don't really have any good photos to show.

Sunday, we all went to Dollywood. I wasn't really sure what to expect from Dollywood. Country schtick aside, it is a really nice amusement park. It had quite a few rides for adventurous adults and older kids, and Lily seemed to enjoy the kids' section. This was my first venture to an amusement park when I couldn't ride anything, so that was a bit different. I ended up being "that person" that held eveyone's wallets, cell phones, and such. The park was very clean, and the food was VERY good. I had fried chicken for lunch, and then I had ham and pinto beans, turnip greens, and blackberry cobbler for dinner. Delicious! There were also stands selling fare such as fried green tomatoes, sausage sandwiches, ice cream with fresh berries...not your typical amusement park food.

Monday and Tuesday, we went to various places around Pigeon Forge and spent time shopping and eating. In the evenings, we just stayed in the cabins, playing Wii bowling and various board games.

And that brings me to today and our trek home. We made a spontaneous stop in Athens, Tennessee, at the Mayfield Dairy. While the tours were closed, we still managed to have some good ice cream. I had the Extreme Moose Tracks; I was really wanting some serious chocolate, and that really hit the spot.

All in all, it was a nice little vacation. I will be more than happy to sleep in my own bed tonight, though!

2 comments:

Amy Sullins said...

Amy, my name is Amy Sullins--I taught with Max at Auburn--and I literally live across the street from Mayfield's. (Well, about two blocks up Ingleside Avenue/Hwy 305, which is the road you turned off of to get the visitor's center. Goign straight on Ingleside Avenue takes you past my house and into downtown Athens, with its pretty square and courthouse.) My oldest son, George, attends the beautiful brick elementary school across from Mayfield's, so several times a month the other boys and I walk to pick up George and then walk over to ice cream paradise. They just increased prices, although a single dip is still cheap. About a month ago, a single (which is really more like a triple) was $1, and an "itty bitty" (for children) was 50 cents.

I still haven't been to Dollywood, however...

Amy said...

Hi Amy!

I don't think I could live in close proximity to the Mayfield Dairy...I'd weigh a ton!

I definitely like their idea of a "single" dip--it was quite a bit of ice cream!