Sunday, June 05, 2011

A New Beginning

So.

I quit my teaching job.

I'm not sure if that was a crazy decision to make in this economy, but it feels like the right decision.

The bottom line is this: I was spending at least 60 hours most weeks doing teaching-related things. Amelia was spending 10 hours a day in daycare, and that's not even counting the time that Darryl was "Mr. Mom" on the weekends and even on some evenings while I graded papers at Starbucks. I wasn't fulfilling my role as a teacher or my role as a mother to my satisfaction. What's more is that for the most part, my passion for my job was dwindling, and I really didn't want to become "that" teacher who is bitter and nasty to all her students because she doesn't really want to be there. (We all know those teachers exist. I had no desire to be one.)

So I resigned. Even though I knew (and still know) it was the right thing to do, it was still a hard decision to make. I had been at my school for seven years. I had a niche. I got to teach AP classes. I had friends I had grown accustomed to seeing every day. I enjoyed most of my students.

Now, for clarification...my "plan" is not to be a stay-at-home mom. I don't think there is anything wrong with that, but I don't think it is for me. I hope to find something, though, where I can leave the office (or wherever) at the end of the day and be DONE with my job until I return to work the next day.

Even though that is exciting (and terrifying), it was still hard to say goodbye to...

...my desk,

...these friends,

...this classroom.

2 comments:

Blayne White said...

awwww...this one made me cry. especially the photo of the door.
we have found that the saying "when God closes a door, He opens a window" or something...I never get those right....anyway, that saying seems to hold true. the window is usually not so obvious to me, but eventually it works out. i think your "gut" is God talking to you and if you feel relief, it was the right decision. i didn't say it would be easy, though. the good stuff never is.

Amy said...

Thanks, Blayne! :-)