Thursday, December 31, 2009

My Word for 2010: Fitness

My favorite scrapbooking guru, Ali Edwards, does this thing where every year she focuses on a word for that year. The word should be something that you really want emphasize, achieve, etc. You get the point. Anyway, I've never done that before, but heck...why not give it a try?

My word for 2010 (that would be twenty-ten, for you, Jen C.) is fitness.

Obviously, that means physical fitness. Every year I profess that this is going to be the year for getting in shape. Losing weight. Exercising more. I think, though, that sometimes I set standards that I can never live up to. So here it is: I want my pants to be less tight. I want to make healthier food choices, and I want to get some honest-to-goodness exercise in there somewhere because I want to feel better.

But I want to be more emotionally fit as well. I tend to be a perfectionist in some areas of my life. I need to let that go. I feel like I need to "do it all," and I need to let that go as well. And I need to do things that recharge my batteries--spending time being quiet, reading a good book for fun, spending quality time with Darryl and Amelia, baking, scrapbooking, and so forth.

I want to be more intellectually fit--reading more for pleasure, being more in touch with world events, putting a bit more research and time into my lesson plans, communicating more with other teachers for new and fresh ideas.

I want and need to be more spiritually fit. I need to read my Bible more, pray more, be more invested in church, do more for others.

Oddly enough, as I'm listing all these things, I don't feel overwhelmed. I almost feel as though one thing is going to lead to another; in a sense, it all seems to be about balance.

So hello, 2010! I'm looking forward to a fresh start!

No comments: