Friday, December 29, 2006

Dreamgirls

If you haven't seen Dreamgirls yet, you must go. Jennifer Hudson will knock your socks off. When she finished singing "And I Am Telling You," the movie audience applauded and one woman yelled, "You go, girl. You tell 'im."

I haven't seen the stage version; I'm not sure how this compares. (I really didn't like the movie version of Rent because they changed some things--unnecessarily, in my opinion--from the stage version.) I would recommend seeing Dreamgirls in the theater, though, so you can get the full effect of the sound and big screen. This is definitely not a rental. See. It. Now.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I saw it yesterday and loved it...I cried! (I cried several times, actually -- every time because of something related to Jennifer Hudson/Effie. The girl who plays Magic in the 2nd half of the movie -- the shots of her with tears in her eyes, well...I felt like a big ole idiot crying in Phipps Plaza.)

I loved the sets, the costumes, the music. I also enjoyed Eddie Murphy and I thought that Beyonce held her own in the role of the "pretty" one.
(There were a few times when I didn't agree with the camera shots...those are my only quibbles.)

And Jennifer Hudson. What a performance!

Anonymous said...

I also wanted to add that there were several moments of applause from the audience when I saw the movie as well.

There was a rousing round of applause after "And I Am Telling You," more applause after "I Am Changing," and big applause in the closing credits when Jennifer Hudson appeared.