Tuesday, May 08, 2012

The Move

I was going to do a post complete with some photos about the move, but alas...I can't find the cord to do that.  Goodness knows where it is.

Since my last post said that we were here (Baton Rouge), you would be safe to assume that everything went well with the closing on the house and all that jazz.  I think because of the debacle the last time we tried to sell our house, we were nervous something could go wrong until the very last minute.  But nothing did.

And while there is definitely a sense of pride that comes with purchasing a house, there is something freeing about not owning one at all.  Interesting.  (To clarify...we are renting a house now and plan to buy once we find a house a love in an area we love, so that statement wasn't a declaration that we will never be homeowners again or anything of that sort.)

Our friends Damian and Rebecca flew to Atlanta to help us move.  (Good friends, yes?)  We had our last "real" meal in Atlanta at Chuy's (the creamy jalapeno dip and the beef fajitas are the bomb-dot-com), and then we finished up packing what remained in our old house before heading to the hotel.

And here's the thing: I was all prepared to do a big ugly cry when I saw that empty house and pulled away from it for the last time, but frankly, I was too tired and feeling too much like, "Thank goodness everything is packed up and we can go to bed."

Saturday, Damian and Darryl drove the moving trucks and left a couple of hours before the girls, and Rebecca drove Darryl's truck while I drove my car with Amelia as my travel companion.  Everything went smoothly, and I met my parents in Mobile so they could take Amelia for the week.

(Let me interrupt here to say my parents have been very gracious to keep Amelia two separate weeks over the past month and a half so we could take care of things with this move.  They love Amelia tremendously, but I know she can be an energetic handful at times!)

We arrived Saturday afternoon and Darryl and Damian, along with another friend, Charles, worked like dogs to get both trucks unloaded by that evening.  CRAZY.

And we've been unpacking boxes ever since.  I'd say we're about 90% unpacked, and we really like the rental house.  It is crazy how our furniture fits perfectly in it --the dimensions, the style, and so forth.  That might be a post for another time.  If I can find my camera cord.

My parents brought Amelia to us this past Friday, and she really loves her new room.  Perhaps even more, though, she loves sitting at the bar in the kitchen to eat her meals.  (Isn't it funny how little kids just love little things like that?  We didn't have a bar in our old house, so this is something new for her.)

We feel a sense of peace about being here.  Things are becoming more official with my job (my contract is in the mail!), and it feels good to be back...even though Baton Rouge welcomed us back with record high temps. :-)

So that's the lowdown.  There are a few anecdotes I will have to post, but I wanted to catch you all (my three readers) up to speed on the move.

No comments: