Thursday, May 31, 2012

Life in the Red Stick

I haven't really updated much on how things are going here. We've been in Baton Rouge a month, so here is just a mish-mash of stuff related to life in Baton Rouge:

1. I mentioned a couple of posts ago that I feel as though we are in a bit of a time warp.  When we lived here before, we had friends who had just had babies.  My friend Martha's kids were in high school. Now those babies who were not even a year old are entering the 5th grade, and Martha's youngest "kid" just graduated with his Master's degree and has a paying job.  Yet, some of the roads, businesses, and buildings look exactly the same as they did ten years ago.  It's a weird feeling.

2. We are enjoying having friends over more often because Baton Rouge isn't as spread out as Atlanta. (That was really my number-one complaint about Atlanta.)  Our closest friends can get here in ten minutes.

3.  I had forgotten how HOT it is here. It's HOT. Did I mention that it is HOT???

4.  I can't remember if I mentioned this before or not, but my job is now "official." I'm very grateful for that fact.  (The "unofficial-ness" may need to be explained in another blog post.)

5.  Darryl's working from home has been an adjustment.  Not a bad one, but it definitely is one.

6.  We really like the house we are renting. It is amazing how much easier it is to keep a house neat when there is room for everything. (Well, almost everything.  We still have a sleeper couch in our garage.) I especially like the openness of it.

7.  I do miss Publix. That hasn't changed.

8.  I also miss my friends, but can I tell you how awesome Facebook and text messaging are? Seriously.  No, it isn't the same as seeing people face to face, but it is nice to feel in touch with everyone, you know?

9.  Amelia is doing well. She has some activities lined up this summer to get her involved with some kids her age, and she seems to enjoy that.  I'm hoping that now that school is out, we'll see more of the neighborhood kids out and about.

10.  I feel like I need a 10. Oh wait...Tim wants me to find and become BFFs with this local celebrity athlete. I'll do what I can, Tim.  I'll do what I can.

No comments: