Thursday, May 17, 2012

Mother's Day...and Motherhood Thoughts

I realize it is Thursday and Mother's Day was four days ago.

I'm really on top of things.

I had a really good Mother's Day.  Darryl and Amelia gifted me with a gift card to a spa.  Woot!

And, of course, that morning, we called our wonderful Mama/Nana to wish her a Happy Mother's Day!

Our friend Rebecca invited us to her parents' house "out in the country" for their Mother's Day cookout.  While that may sound awkward -- going to a friend's extended family's gathering -- it actually wasn't because we had met and been around much of Rebecca's family before for other things.

The weather was perfect, and Amelia even got to ride a horse for the first time.




For the record, I'm not a horse person.  I don't mind looking at them from afar, but they scare me a little.  I won't tell Amelia that, though. :-)

Amelia also found this gear in the playroom.  I think she'll adjust to living in Louisiana just fine.


When we got home, I took a power nap while Amelia and Darryl went to Lowe's, and that evening, we had La Madeleine's for dinner (my choice, obviously).

And I have no good transition here, but just know that the following relates to motherhood:

So, back in Georgia, there is a tragic story that has gotten a lot of attention from the media about a grad student who rode a homemade zip line, fell, and cut her leg.  The injury itself required stitches, but otherwise was no big deal until it was discovered that the girl was suffering from flesh-eating bacteria.  Now, she has had her leg amputated (with future amputations a probability) and is continuing to fight for her life.

My friend Blayne and I were discussing this story last week, and I said, "Well, I guess I'll add 'Do not ride any homemade zip lines' to the list of things I want to be sure to tell Amelia."  (To be clear, I'm not making light of this story at all.  I'm just thinking that this girl's situation must be a living hell not only for her, but also for her parents.)  As soon as I said that to Blayne, I was reminded of something my mother once told me.

When I was in college, I received a letter from my mom.  (This was before everyone had email, y'all.)  After she updated me on news and tidbits of information, she said something along these lines:

"I don't think I ever told you this, and you probably already know it, but you DO know that you aren't supposed to let your hair dryer fall in a sink full of water, don't you?  You can get electrocuted that way."

My mom and I still laugh about that story from time to time, but I think as mothers (and I'm sure fathers feel the same way), we feel this overwhelming burden to keep our kids as safe as possible...but we realize we can only control so much.

There is no way to warn our kids about -- much less protect them from -- every hazard in the world.  And that is scary to think about.

What is the fine line between warning our kids about dangers, but also encouraging them to "seize the day"?  (Seriously...if all my friends were riding the zip line, I probably would have too.)

I let my daughter ride a horse while trying not to think about all the stories I've heard of people getting kicked in the head by horses or falling off horses.

And something tells me this motherhood thing isn't going to get any easier. :-)

But I love it, with all its fears, insecurities, and "am I doing the right thing."

And for the record, I did know that I should not let my hair dryer fall in a sink full of water.

No comments: