Sunday, July 31, 2011

Clear Eyes, Full Hearts, Can't Lose.


I'm in mourning, y'all.

Friday Night Lights, one of my favorite TV shows OF ALL TIME, is officially over. Actually, it was over a couple of weeks ago, but because of some DVR issues and a busy spring and early summer, I finally was able to watch the entire season over the past couple of weeks.

I don't want to talk about the finale of the show or give anything away for those of you who haven't watched this season yet (Tim, that would be you), but I do want to offer a list of the reasons why I love this show. And if you haven't watched this show, I strongly urge you to get the DVDs and watch. You will thank me later.

And I present to you now the reasons, in no particular order, why I think FNL is awesome:

1. The characters are realistic. From the high school students to the adults, I have known people "in real life" who are just like the characters on these shows. (Also...the students look like students, not 30-something adults playing high school kids.)

2. Each episode has at least one moment that gives me goose bumps...and sometimes makes me shed a tear. Usually these moments involve Coach Taylor (played by the brilliant Kyle Chandler) or his wife, Tammy (portrayed by the awesome Connie Britton). You just need to watch for yourself to see what I'm talking about.

3. The show doesn't have an "off" season. You know how many shows just have a bad season? Not Friday Night Lights. I was worried when our favorites at the beginning of the series graduated and moved off to college or wherever (and there are some other cast transitions that take place that I don't want to give away if you are planning to watch), but the writing of this show is so compelling that we quickly fall in love with the new characters as they are introduced to us.

4. The marriage of Eric and Tammy is realistic and inspirational. They support each other. They fight. They make mistakes. They compromise. They laugh at each other. They are flawed people. At the end of the day, though, you know this is a rock solid marriage.

5. The show tackles realistic issues. From jealousy among players to kids having to deal with more at home than they should, FNL handles them wonderfully and often poignantly.

6. The show is often hilarious. I mentioned earlier that every show features at least one touching moment. I should also add that every show features several laugh-out-loud moments, too.

7. The show is about football, and it isn't about football. Several of my friends have mentioned that they didn't start watching this show because they aren't really into football. Really, the show isn't about the football. Sure, it features some game clips and the whole cast is connected to football in one way or another, but the show is really about the characters. And trust me when I say that when it is all said and done, you won't mind the football parts. :-)

It's so good, y'all. SO GOOD. And I will miss it. (As for the title of this post...if you watched the show, you'll get it. If you didn't, what are you waiting for? Start watching!)

1 comment:

Blayne White said...

Ok, Ok, I get it. I'll give it a shot.....although I'm cancelling my Netflix soon. I wonder if I can get it in by then?