Sunday, July 10, 2011

Falling Off the Face of the Earth...And "The Walk"

Hi there.

I really didn't mean to just fall off the face of the earth unexpectedly like that. One day led to another, and before I knew it, several weeks had gone by. My reason? I've been insanely busy. Since I last blogged, I've been to Florida and back TWICE.

When I quit my teaching job (that is still hard for me to type), I decided that I still wanted to invest in the lives of teenagers in some way, so I signed up to be a group leader for a group of 9th grade girls at my church. The idea is that I will be their group leader until they graduate from high school, and I think that's a cool idea.

One of the first "activities" we participated in was a 4-day trip to Panama City Beach called "The Walk." I co-lead our group with a recent high school graduate named Jennifer, and I adore her. Here's a photo of our group. (Forgive the "flash bulb" eyes...I'm too lazy to "correct" all those eyes at the moment.)


Yep. They are all tan, thin, and beautiful. Ah, youth.

What I learned about ninth grade girls this week is that they aren't the tidiest people on earth, and they do disgusting things like eat the cream out of Oreos and put them back in the box. They also spend A LOT of time on their hair.

BUT.

They are also very sweet, and when they aren't leaving towels everywhere and eating cream out of Oreos and fixing their hair, they ask these kinds of questions:

--Why did God give us free will when He wants everyone to follow Him?
--Why did He allow Satan to exist if He knew what Satan was going to do?
--Why did God make Satan an angel in the beginning?
--Some versions of the Apostles' Creed says Jesus descended into Hell. Did He really?
--Will we know our relatives in Heaven?
--Why were animals sacrificed in the Old Testament?

Goodness.

Oh, on a less spiritual note, we also participated in a flash mob. I don't think this video quite captures the "energy" of what we were feeling at the moment, but it was so, so fun. :-)

No comments: