Saturday, August 09, 2008

School, the Olympics, and More

I started this post on Saturday and finished it Sunday night. Oh, well.

This has been an exhausting week, to say the least.

We have a new principal at our school, and he has required a lot from us (the teachers) over the past couple of weeks. I'm not really voicing that as a complaint because, in reality, these are things that we probably should have been made to do years ago, but no one actually made us do them. Regardless, the process has been exhausting, but I'm optimistic that it will pay off.

Thursday, the students returned to school. I have three Pre-AP English 2 classes (10th graders) and three "regular" English 3 classes (juniors). I think I'm going to like my 10th graders--I can tell I have some great personalities in those classes--but I'm not too sure about two of my three junior classes. I definitely have some potential troublemakers. Anyway, two days are behind us now, but those two first days wore me out. The teachers in my lunch group were all joking that we have the scratchy throat that comes with adjusting to talking all day again after a summer break from it.

Friday night, I met my friend Lisa for Mexican food. It was a nice way to end a busy week. I needed a little girl time. Lisa and I used to work together when I took a break from the academic world and worked at a law firm; she's one of those friends I wish I could see more often than I do. My jaws literally ached after dinner from laughing so hard. Definitely a good way to spend the evening.

And on to the Olympics...anybody watching? Why can't the Olympics come on during summer vacation when I have time to watch it? I can get seriously sucked in to it. I Fake Tivoed the Opening Ceremony, but I made it home in time from my dinner with Lisa to see the awesome-cool-freakin'-fantastic lighting of the torch. I hope to watch the rest in bits and pieces this week.

Well, I think there was more to tell, but my mind is drawing a blank. I'm sleepy, but I need to fix bottles, straighten the kitchen, prepare my lunch...the list goes on.

1 comment:

Kristy said...

I feel your exhaustion. We have a good group of 7th graders, but it's still tiring. Glad you were able to get in some girl time!

My favorite from this post? Your awesome-cool-freakin'-fantastic description of the lighting of the torch! You crack me up.