Tuesday, March 04, 2008

Not the same

I spent the past five days without Amelia.

Originally, Darryl, Amelia, and I were planning to go to Florida to visit our families. To make a long--and not very interesting--story much shorter, Darryl needed to tend to some business with his dad on Friday, and I really wasn't in a position to take time off from school that day, so Darryl decided to give me a bit of a break and let me catch up on some sleep by taking Amelia with him to Florida. They left Thursday afternoon. (Leaving her that morning at daycare was much worse than when I left her the first day of daycare.) Friday, Darryl called to tell me that they wouldn't come back until Monday because he and his dad had an appointment Monday afternoon. They finally came back around 11 last night.

I'm not going to lie--I greatly enjoyed my full nights of sleep...and I slept until at least 8 every morning.

But my awake time was not so fun. I missed my girl desperately. Up until this point, I had not spent a single night away from her. Going without her for four nights for our first separation venture was not pretty. I did get some projects done around the house and managed to look over rough drafts (does that sound like a good time or what?), but the house was too quiet.

I'm glad she's back. (Oh, yes, I missed Darryl too, but I have experienced being away from him before.)

Me time just wasn't the same, I guess.

In other news, I finally got a much-needed haircut today. This is big news, people. I hadn't had a haircut since THANKSGIVING. I didn't get anything too shocking done, but I did get a few inches cut off.

And that's about all that's going on here.

4 comments:

Kristy said...

That's how becoming a mother changes you...forever.
BTW-My parents, or at least one of them, saw Darryl at the new church gym @ a game. I think your mom was more than willing to watch Amelia for as long as necessary! I'm surprised Darryl made it back w/her, or w/o Ms. Becky coming home with them:)
BIG BROWNIE POINTS to the big-D man!! He always was a sweetie.

Kristy said...

Good going on the weight ticker!!! I really need to start back w/ WW. I hate to think that D & I are approaching our 20th high school reunion. I don't know about ya'll, but I still feel 22 or so. I just don't want to be wearing that size!! Maybe this is the time to make some changes.

Amy said...

Hey Kristy!

I think I'll keep Darryl. He's a pretty good husband. :) In all honesty, he's just as competent (and sometimes probably more so) in the parenting department as I am. We're both newbies, but I think we're doing pretty well so far. Did your parents get to see Amelia? According to Darryl, she was pretty much passed around from person to person during that whole game. (Our nephew was playing and our niece was cheering, so that was why he was there.)

About the weight thing...it's hard. I can never do it unless I feel completely, utterly "saturated" with food. After being pregnant and then for about six weeks after, I practically indulged myself with every possible thing I could want, so I was good and ready to start eating better. I do like WW, too, because it really is just about controlling portions, and you can treat yourself now and then. I have never done well with the diets that cut out certain foods, like no sugar, no carbs, etc.

BTW, my friend Kim is enjoying your blog. She thinks you're hilarious.

Kristy said...

You guys are doing great! I got your comment about a girls' night...let's do it! I know our parents would not mind. They'd probably push us out the door a little too quickly:)

Tell your friend to leave a comment! I love getting those!!