Saturday, February 23, 2008

Saturday again...

...but I know Monday will be here in a blink of an eye.

My thoughts are better managed these days through bullet points, so here you go:

--I've done better with my diet this week. I hope there are results on the scale Monday. I'm supposed to eat lunch with my friend Casi today--I hope I keep things under control. Casi and I are known to demolish all things chocolate, so...

--I've been a bit disgruntled with my job lately. There are some things going on at our school that I'm not entirely happy with, but I don't feel comfortable posting them here. I'm also discouraged by the lack of motivation and ETHICS I see in my students. I told Darryl that on days when teaching goes well and the kids are involved and interested, I feel as though I have the best job in the world. But 90% of my days (probably more than that, if I'm being honest), I just feel defeated. On the other hand, I get two months off in the summer, a week in the Spring, a week in the fall, and two weeks at Christmas that I get to spend with my daughter (and sometimes my husband--he's important, too!)...so does that make up for all the yuckiness I deal with the other 180 days of the year? Maybe... What bothers me as I'm typing this is that in all honesty, probably 80% of my kids are really good kids whom I like. I think I'm looking at the glass half empty.

(Oh, Jen...I think my students may be watching Dead Poets Society week after next so I can grade essays. :) If you did anything really cool with your students after watching it, let me know!)

--Did anyone watch Lost Thursday? Holy cow! (Also...is anyone watching the hour before, when the previous week's episode airs with special notes and hints on the bottom of the screen? I typically have it on while I'm packing my lunch and fixing bottles and such, but it's pretty cool.) This past Thursday reminded me why I love this show...and maybe it will help me accept the fact that Friday Night Lights is probably over.

--I think Amelia is hitting a growth spurt...again. She's getting hungry more often. I've tried giving her more formula, but she drinks pretty much the same amount she has been drinking. She's also getting sleepy at about 7:30 at night (sometimes earlier), but she wakes up about two to eat. We're supposed to start rice cereal this week, so maybe that will help with keeping her full.

Well, my bullet points ended up being quite long. Sorry. Well, I'm off to eat my 3 points worth of waffles. :)

Edited later: Tim (or any other Lost fans), if you happen to read this post and haven't watched Lost, don't read the comments because there's a big spoiler...unless you want to be "spoiled."

7 comments:

Jenny said...

Okay, soooooo WORD on all this.
1. Totally understand the job stuff. TOTALLY.
2. Amy, I found lots of good stuff by putting in "teaching Dead Poets Society" on Google search. I cut and pasted a couple of different activities.
3. Lost---that was a great episode! (Even though I knew Aaron was the son...from the spoilers.) I just wanna know---is Claire dead, did she ask them to take him, or did they take him by force?
4. Jake's doing the growth spurt thing too. Good luck with cereal. Jake's not too crazy about it. :( Pooh.

Amy said...

Jen, I'm thinking that the circumstances regarding why only 6 left the island are very tragic, which is why everyone (except Kate) is so messed up in the flash forwards. Desmond DID have the vision of Claire getting on the helicopter, but maybe she didn't? Maybe she's dead? I don't know. I try not to read the spoilers...I like the surprise. I thought there would be a twist, but I thought the twist might be that the baby is actually Jack's somehow. Oh, well. And last week, Ben (whom I still like to call "Henry Gale") told Sayid that he had to keep killing people on "the list" in order to protect his friends...so I'm guessing some of the others who are left behind WANT to be left behind, thus the made-up story about there being only 8 survivors (but now there are only six?)?

We tried Amelia on the cereal tonight. She seemed to like it okay. She spit a good bit out, but she made efforts to eat it. I took pictures, of course. :)

And on the student thing...when I read your blog about your poem assignment, I thought, "Great assignment...and probably about 10 of my students would actually do it for homework, and about 30 would probably do it five minutes before class and turn in something crappy." Honestly, I think if I set my hair on fire and danced around the classroom, no one would blink an eye. Oh, well. Sigh.

Wow--what a long response to your comment.

Kristy said...

Sadly,you are singing the same song that I hear at school so often. (I sing it too!) My co-workers & I were discussing that even the kids who struggle or don't get it would be easier to deal with if we could just see EFFORT. It's very frustrating to plan and prepare so hard, teach, and still see little gains. We actually had a homework assignment w/ FOUR math problems dealing w/scale factor & proportions. In one class, only THREE students completed it. SEVEN did only 2 probs, & they were the even #'s found in the back!!!!I am soooo glad I do not drink...but it sure has crossed my mind.

Kristy said...

Oh yeah, the Lost comments, well I'm lost!!LOL Maybe one day I'll once again be able to watch shows with deeper plots than Hannah Montana.

Amy said...

Kristy, that sounds just like my students. Honestly, half the time I don't even assign homework unless I plan to quiz on it because most of them just copy the answers from the ones who actually do the work.

As for LOST...I think you would like it. I don't think, however, it would make any sense to you now; you would have to see it from the beginning. Maybe one day when all the episodes are on TV...and your kids are in college...you can watch them all. :) It totally isn't my "type" of show, but I love it.

Another show I think you would love is FRIDAY NIGHT LIGHTS, but alas, it will probably be canceled for low ratings.

Jenny said...

I can't believe FNL has low ratings. That's crazy. The possibility of it being cancelled makes me wanna pull my hair out!!!!! Coach Taylor is a sexy man. Me want sexy time. :)

Amy said...

I agree, Jen. I also like how the marriage between him and Tami is portrayed. They're both flawed people, but underneath it all they love each other and support each other.

And how realistic was the whole "overwhelmed mom" storyline at the beginning?? Sooo true!