Sunday, February 24, 2008

I don't like oatmeal...and other thoughts

I just tried oatmeal for probably the 10th time. I don't like it. Doggone it, I've tried to like it because most people seem to love it, but I think it is gross. It's the consistency. Emerson would applaud my stance on oatmeal...I don't have to like it because the crowd does. (Sorry...I have transcendentalism on the brain lately, unlike my students who apparently bombed the test I gave Friday.)

Well, today I see further evidence of how a baby has changed my life...I really care nothing about the Academy Awards. I may not even watch. (Gasp!) I do like see what people wear, though, so who knows? The only nominated movie I've seen is Juno, and it was such a sweet, well-done movie, so I guess I'll "pull" for that one.

I was fairly good yesterday for my lunch with Casi. I did have a slice of pizza from Fellini's, but for dessert, I had a Starbucks Light Frappuccino. For two friends who can take down a slice of chocolate cake that is the size of a small person, this is progress, people.

Oh, one more thing...I bought some shoes yesterday that are so NOT me, but I love them. Inspired by the wardrobe overhaul show on Oprah the other day, I bought a pair of leopard print patent flats. (The fashion guru said, "Wear flats like you want to, not like you have to." He also said all women should own a pair of white jeans; I'm not sure I'm following that advice.) When I received shoe gift cards for Christmas, I made a promise to myself that I would buy only "fun" shoes with them...so I did.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You need to try the old fashioned oatmeal. It has more "texture" to it and is better for you. I'm cooking it at work now and I'm going to a bigger pot because it is so popular. By the way, it has been 21 days since I've seen my granddaughter. That is way too long and I'm in misery. Send me a cereal picture.

Kristy said...

Good for you with the shoes! I know your priorities have shifted some with a new baby, but always take time for you and splurge on yourself occasionally. It'll make you a better mom! Ditto on the oatmeal. I only like it in cookies, & even then not so much. One day they'll discover the benefits of grits. I just know it:)