Friday, February 15, 2008

It's Friday! And it's a long weekend!!!

I thought today would never get here. :)

Darryl has been out of town all week, so I've been on Amelia duty 24-7. (Well, except for the time she's in daycare.) I love my girl, but I will definitely be taking a NAP this weekend. A long one. I'll also be catching up on some Fake-Tivo: I have two Friday Night Lights episodes to watch, last night's Lost, and...the Jesse/Angie reunion on All My Children. There. I said it. I'm not ashamed.

I've been a bit over school lately. Little things are annoying me. The big thing that is bothering me this week is students' disinterest. They act annoyed that we have to read in English class. They act annoyed when I ask them to read three pages on their own and answer three questions. This past week, we were reading Thoreau. Now, I remember reading Thoreau in high school and thinking that it wasn't the most exciting reading ever, but I did think it was cool that this dude moved into the woods and built a cabin for $28.12 and lived alone for a little over two years. None of this interests my students. Aargh.

I would continue with my petty thoughts, but Amelia has let me know she is tired of swinging. More later.

4 comments:

Kristy said...

Wow, I remember reading Thoreau, and the cabin in the woods thing, but the price? Your good. Please tell me that fact was in your curriculum to remind you. I wonder how much more I've forgotten!!My middle school kids, even the honors classes, just don't want to think for themselves. They are definitely products of our "microwave society." It's very frustrating. Don't even get me started about them completing homework.

Kristy said...

Have you been back to my site? I updated it!

Amy said...

Well, the $28.12 was in WALDEN, which we read...but I did remember that he built the cabin for a very low price.

I did go back to your site, but I was holding Amelia and didn't feel like typing with one hand. I'm about to go there now to post a comment. :)

Jenny said...

After the kids watched Dead Poets Society last week, we discussed Thoreau and Walden. They had never heard of them. I said, "Surely you covered this last year in 11th grade, right?"

Blank stares. I hate it when things aren't gone over when they are supposed to be GONE OVER!!!!!!!!!!! Ugh.

I got a lot of titters over "sucked the marrow out of life"...