Monday, January 21, 2008

My Day Today

Don't you hate those days when you start out with the notion that you'll be very productive and then end up not being productive at all?

I was going to go shopping today because I needed a pair of khaki pants ("transition pants" because my maternity ones are too baggy--hooray!), and I also wanted to buy some shoes at DSW with some gift cards I received at Christmas. (Side note here: None of my pre-pregnancy shoes fit anymore because my feet are longer. This morning, I reluctantly handed over two favorite pairs of cute shoes to my mother. I hope she enjoys them in in all their cuteness.)

So Amelia and I headed to the mall after having a quick lunch with Darryl. The mall was stinkin' crowded. Like week-before-Christmas crowded. I found a pair of pants fairly quickly and decided to go in search of a black turtleneck shirt. Seriously...why is it so hard to find a basic wardrobe item when you need one? Along in my mall journey, Amelia started fussing and crying like nobody's business, which is very unusual. I figured she needed a diaper change, so I parked in Pottery Barn Kids--they have the best bathroom, y'all, complete with diapers in case you need them--and quickly discovered when I took her out of her infant seat that I had the poor girl bundled up so warmly that she was extremely hot. I decided to change the diaper anyway, and for some reason, that had me just sweating profusely. (Those of you without kids--and I was in that group not so long ago--let me tell you, changing a diaper in a public restroom is no fun. You have to get everything organized just so while trying to work quickly for those waiting outside. And you also have to try not to think about all the germs. I'm a bit of a public restroom-phobe.)

So after that detour, I continued to look for the black turtleneck in Belk's. No luck. I decided to give up the search and head to DSW. As I got ready to leave, I realized my keys were missing. I checked all my pockets, my shopping bag, the stroller, everywhere. Panicking, I went to mall security. (Amelia, thank goodness, was sleeping at this point.) The nice lady walkie-talkied all the security staff. No keys had been turned in. An intelligent lady behind me said, "That stinks. That means you can't leave, doesn't it?" Um, yeah. I went back to all the stores I had been in before (fun!), no luck. Finally, I went back to Belk's, and there, on a table where I had been looking at sweaters, were my keys. I don't even remember putting them there.

After all that stress, I decided to pass on DSW. I guess that's a good thing because as soon as I started home, Amelia decided she was hungry and cried for the entire 25 minutes it took me to get home. I also got home later than I planned, so I fell behind on laundry and such. Yay!

(Tim, is this story as boring as Jamie B's?)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love your entries...very real, yet with a style we can all chuckle at, especially when it hits "close to home." Amen on the public bathroom phobias and babies. It actually got worse with me when we started potty-training. (Just picture a toddler sitting on layers of TP with me breaking my back leaning over so she can wrap her arms around my legs with her head between my knees. Yeah, a pretty pic.) I'm glad you made it home!

Jenny said...

I've been there...several times. :) Bless your heart!! :)

RealTimShady said...

I don't think we'll have to worry about JB now that LP's Mom is back. :)

Amy said...

Which is worse...JB's stories or stories about LP's "toots"?