Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Office Space: Men vs. Women

When my new teaching gig became "official," one of my first concerns was getting my office in order.

(First, you should know that by "office," I mean a windowless shoebox.)

(But that is okay with me, because A) I have worked here before and knew ahead of time what the offices look like, and B) I don't enjoy teaching because of the office space.)

ANYWAY...

There is a whole back story on the office situation.  The brief version? I was assigned an office, but the current inhabitant had not (and still has not) vacated it, so I was moved to another office.  The whole point of this tidbit of info is that I was eager to set up shop, but was delayed, and delayed, and delayed.

Through the wait, I (perhaps too much) voiced my frustration to Darryl, and he just. didn't. get. it.

Darryl: Isn't an office the last of your priorities?

Amy: No! I have to have a good space to work! And if it is a gross color, like Pepto-pink, I might have to paint it.

Darryl: WHAT? Paint it?? If you have a desk and a computer, what more do you need?

And so on.

And here is yet another area where men and women are different.

Allow me to show you Darryl's office decor (forgive the poor lighting):

A panoramic Doak Campbell stadium poster above the white board (containing computer stuff I don't understand):



The Jackass calendar I give him for Christmas every year (an ongoing joke):




A drawing of Chief Osceola (in a cracked frame, nonetheless) and a photo calendar of Amelia:



And that is it.  That's the office where the magic happens.

FINALLY, I got a key to my office, and there was much work to do.  Here are the "before" shots.






And here are the "after" shots:

From the door:


I like the London/Big Ben canvas because it reminds me of our 10th Anniversary Trip to London (although truth be told...I picked up that canvas at Hobby Lobby a couple of years ago), and The Great Gatsby is perhaps my favorite novel (it is in the top three, at least).

The spare desk (first, the board over this desk is more centered -- and level -- than it appears in this photo, and second, I tried to get this desk moved to no avail, but I think I like it there because it will be a good space for students who have to make up work.)



And my desk corner (there will be a computer on that desk by Monday...I hope):



The ugly bookcase remains, but I'm just going to label it "vintage industrial."



Also vintage? This phone.


Hello? 1982 called. It would like its phone back.

(I removed that lovely woven placemat under it.)

I've very happy with how the office turned out.  (And fortunately, it was a pale gray as opposed to Pepto-pink, so I didn't have to do any painting.)


On an unrelated note...I promise my mother that I will (finally) post some Amelia photos tomorrow. :-)

No comments: