Friday, August 10, 2012

My Own Olympics Wrap-Up (Before it is Over)

Now that gymnastics is over, swimming is done, and Lolo Jones has jumped her hurdles...I'm pretty much done with the Olympics.  I'm more of a first-half-of-the-Olympics kind of gal.

Here are some moments I particularly loved:

1--Kate Middleton, anytime, anywhere.  However, my favorite moment was possibly during a men's event final, when she was sitting next to a male British gymnast and was talking to him about what they were watching. (I'm assuming that's what they were talking about.  For all I know, they could have been talking about the Kristen Stewart-Robert Pattison breakup.) Anyway, it was apparent he was giddy but trying to keep it cool for the Duchess.




2--The moment when runner Kirani James hugged Oscar Pistorius and wanted to switch bibs with him after their 400-meter race.  Later in an interview, Pistorius mentioned how much that gesture meant to him. (And really...watching Pistorius run literally gave me goosebumps. So inspiring.) (If you have no idea what I'm talking about, you need to get on The Google.)



3--The Fab 5 cheering on their competing team members at event finals. I want to believe they are all friends.

4--Gabby Douglass winning the All-Around.  You go, girl!  (Also...I don't get the complaints about her hair. Have you ever watched a gymnast compete and think, "Oh, I love her hair"? No...because they are all wearing the ponytail held in place by Goody clips.)

5--Swimmer Missy Franklin dwarfing Bob Costas during their (hilarious) interview.  I love her and want to teach her. Think we can get her to Louisiana??? (I cannot find a photo of them together, but trust me...I laughed and laughed!)

5--The many faces of Debbie Phelps.  Oh, how I will miss her.

(A week or so ago, my friend Tim said, "I think Debbie likes to shop at the Chico's." Oh my word, I laugh every time I think about that.)

(No offense to anyone who wears Chico's.)


AND...that's about it on these Olympic games. Unless I have some thoughts about the Closing Ceremonies, and I just might.

I can't wait for two more years when I can put everything on hold to watch the Winter Olympics. I tend to have a lot of thoughts about figure skating...


(Edited to add that Oscar Pistorius is running one more time tonight as part of South Africa's relay team.  If you haven't seen him compete, you MUST. Set your DVR. If it doesn't inspire you, you have no soul. That's all.)

No comments: