Tuesday, November 08, 2011

Sweeney Todd Confessions

Confession #1: I miss working with high school students. Now, I don't regret leaving my job when we did because I think I did the right thing for personal reasons, BUT what I do miss most is the students themselves (and my colleagues).

Confession #2: A little over a week ago, I saw my former school's production of Sweeney Todd at Region One Act Competition and fell in love with the show. I had never seen Sweeney Todd before -- I knew Sweeney was a barber who killed his clients and something about pies baked out of the bodies -- but that's all I knew. Well, after seeing the 50+-minute version for One Act, I went back Tuesday night, with Blayne, her daughter, and her daughter's boyfriend in tow, to see the full 2+-hour version. (Submissions for One Act have to be 55 minutes or less, thus a shorter version for competition and the full version for the community's enjoyment.) And once again, I loved the show!

The music is AMAZING (I have listened to the soundtrack daily since purchasing it a week ago). The story is compelling and sad (poor Sweeney Todd). But...BUT...the best part is that these students, under the direction of my friend Kim, performed this extremely difficult show EXCEPTIONALLY well. The voices were beautiful, the ensemble numbers were powerful...it was just so very good.

SO...put those "confessions" together and I ended up going to the State One Act Competition in Warner Robbins to see these students perform this show yet one more time. I've wanted to go to the state competition several times before, but I was always prevented from doing so by either conflicting plans or stacks of essays that needed to be graded. Nothing stopped me this time!

Tim and I were the only ones from "our" group to watch all eight shows in the competition. This is what we felt like after watching essentially eight hours of plays/musicals:



Our school was AWESOME...in a league of their own. There were some other strong competitors, but in the end, the best show won! I'm so proud of Kim and these students! This honor was well deserved!

It was a fun day. (And, as a bonus...I got home just in time to see LSU beat Alabama. Woot woot!)

1 comment:

said...

Just wanted to say thanks for stopping by my blog : ) Fun to find another fellow Atlanta blogger!