Friday, July 23, 2010

Potty Training and Everything Else

I'm not going to lie: this week has been a tough one in the motherhood department.

Potty Training
I have put some effort (admittedly, probably not enough) into trying to potty train Amelia. Oy.

I don't think she is quite ready. I don't know if that is the truth or something I'm telling myself as an excuse to put it off a little longer.

We tried "naked time"--a tried and true method of many of my friends--but she wasn't a fan of it after about 30 minutes.

So then we bought some princess underwear, and she was super excited about it.

Then she spent about 40 minutes deciding which character she wanted to wear--Princess Belle? No. Princess Water (Ariel)? No. Wait, maybe Princess Belle...

She wore panties for about 20 minutes, and then we had to leave to go somewhere, so the diaper went back on.

The next day, she sat on her potty for about 30 minutes with nothing to show for it.

She has yet to produce anything in the potty. (Can I also add that I absolutely detest the word "potty," and having to say it about 500 times a day is like nails down a chalkboard for me?)

Everything Else
Amelia has also spent a lot of time in "time out" this week.


She also has swimmer's ear, which means we haven't been able to go to the pool...which was pretty much what I was hoping to do this week. It's too hot to do anything else outside. And when we stay inside...we both get cranky.

Amelia has also lost interest in napping. I don't think I need to elaborate on why this isn't good.

Yesterday, I did go up to the school to start setting up my classroom. I took care of one task I hate: recovering my bulletin board with paper. If I were an elementary school teacher, I would stink. I cover my board once, and that is it. No change of the seasons for me!!

Afterward, I had lunch with my friends Max and Tim. I ate so much that I had to stop and buy Tums on the way home. I was soooo miserable, but the food was awesome and I enjoyed catching up and having some adult conversation.

Last night, even though it was 93 degrees at 7:00, we took Amelia to the playground. She loves to play outside.
But For the Record...
As trying as this week has been, I want to add that in between all the less-than-stellar times, my girl does gives some awesome hugs and kisses, and the more she talks, the funnier she is. One of my favorite moments this week occurred when she walked up to a mirror and said, "I need to see me." Ha!

Next week, though, the plan is to get out of the house as much as possible. That might not help much with the potty training effort, but it will definitely help out with our sanity!

1 comment:

Jenny said...

I dread cleaning up my classroom....