Thursday, July 29, 2010

Last Week of Summer 2010, Part 1--Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday

Monday
We went to a splash pad for about an hour. Apparently Amelia the Daredevil has moved beyond splash pads and was not very impressed. She kept asking, "Where's the slide?" I guess that's the danger of taking your kid to a water park when she is two. A slide is apparently now a requirement.

Anyway, after the splash pad, we had lunch on the road (kudos to Zaxby's for their awesome 1/2 grilled cheese kids' meal--it's the perfect size), and came home and began efforts to take a nap.

That's when our day took a nosedive for the worse.

Amelia has pretty much given up napping on her own, and now Darryl seems to be the only one who can lie down with her and get her to take a nap. After over an hour of trying to get her to lie down with me to nap, we were both cranky and frustrated. So to cheer us up, we decorated some cupcakes I had baked earlier that morning.
By the end of Monday, Amelia and I had butted heads about 483 times, and we were both exhausted at bedtime. Unfortunately for Darryl and me, she wandered into our room at 1:30 and slept in our bed the rest of the night because we couldn't get her to stay in her bed...and we were both too tired to care.

Tuesday
I had to go to school early that morning for a writing workshop, so Amelia spent about five hours at the sitter's house. (Am I a bad mother if confess that we both might have enjoyed that break a little?)

Afterward, I picked up Amelia and took her to get a haircut, where the stylist asked Amelia if she was going to be starting kindergarten. When I told her that Amelia was only two, her eyes bugged out of her head.

Amelia napped on the way home, and I made the unfortunate decision to try to get a sleeping Amelia out of the car when we got home. The only thing more ornery than an Amelia who hasn't napped at all is an Amelia who has been awakened mid-nap...so our afternoon after that point was pretty grim. (Should I stop here and clarify that I really DO love my daughter more than words can express? I'm just not sugarcoating the Terrible 2s, I guess.)

That evening, Darryl spent some daddy-daughter time with Amelia, and I went to my first kids' consignment sale with my friend Sabrina. It was fascinating! People were there with big laundry baskets for their loot. I bought just three things for Amelia; I was afraid to invest too much because I can never predict her growth pattern. Anyway, here's a photo from my phone:
I know you can't tell much, but that was the line--about 30 people long. Craziness.

Wednesday

Wednesday was a MUCH better day.

Amelia and I went to the aquarium. I liked it because it is easy to access and easy to find parking. It doesn't require a ton of walking, and it is also indoors. Amen.

I went to the aquarium with Darryl once the year it opened, but it was much more fun going with Amelia. (Sorry, Darryl.) She enjoyed it all. Here are a few pics. I don't think they really require any commentary.




Then, as if the aquarium weren't fun enough, we went to the mall and rode the carousel. Three times. Amelia was on a quest to ride the frog. She was much more excited about it than this photo suggests:
Then we went to The Disney Store (which Amelia calls "Mouseketools"...and that would make sense if you've ever watched Mickey Mouse Clubhouse) where we purchased some Tinkerbell figurines to entertain Amelia so I could walk around in peace because Amelia has really gotten into Tinkerbell lately. (You'll be happy to know they get along quite well with all of our Disney princesses.)

As I was walking around, I saw this:
Hello, Lover.

I have not really been much into purses since Amelia came along and I didn't like carrying a purse AND a diaper bag and went the way of the wristlet, but...BUT...I LOVED this purse. I'm not sure what it was about it...the color (deep plum)? The ruffle? Its total and complete combination of cute and sophisticated?

And then I saw the price, and our love affair ended rather abruptly.

But I'm still thinking about that bag. Obviously.

When I got home, we went to dinner (I was too exhausted to cook) and went shopping for Amelia's Big Girl Bed.

And now...
My goal is to do FREE stuff today and tomorrow. All this fun--not too mention all that comes with the Big Girl Bed effort--comes with a heavy pricetag.

No comments: