Wednesday, November 25, 2009

I "heart" Donny. Yeah, that's right.

I'm A-OK with Donny Osmond winning Dancing with the Stars. You know why? Because I've always had a little thing for him.

It all started when I was very young, maybe 4 or 5, and watched The Donny and Marie Show. I loved that show. I also had a Donnie and Marie 8-track tape, with my favorite songs being "A, My Name is Alice and my Boyfriend's Name is Andy" and "I'm a Little Bit Country, and I'm a Little Bit Rock and Roll." (My friend Heather and I sang that last one in a talent show when I was in first grade.) If I'm not mistaken, I also had a Donny and Marie vanity set.


Let us fast-forward to high school, when I recorded "Soldier of Love" and "Sacred Emotion" from Rick Dees Top 40 and then included both of those on several mix tapes.

And maybe I've watched him as Joseph from Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat on You Tube once or twice.

I know he can be a bit of a cheeseball. I know he's prolonging his career as long as he can by doing appearances on ET and DWTS. But the dude has undeniable charm and charisma, and he actually danced pretty well.

But here's what I like best about him: I love the fact that he's been married to the same woman since he was in his early 20s. And I love that he has lots of kids who seem crazy about him. I love the fact that when he was hot stuff in his teens and women were throwing themselves at him, he turned them down because he wasn't raised to "be that way." (I'm loosely paraphrasing from an interview he did with Oprah about a year ago.) And I love the fact that after he won last night, he immediately grabbed his wife from the audience and pulled her on stage with him.

The truth is...I like good guys. My favorite "rocker" is Bon Jovi, who, like Donny (have these two ever in life been mentioned in the same sentence before?), has been married to the same woman and admits to driving carpool. I married a good guy.

So...even though this season of DWTS was kind of bleh (aside from Kelly Osborne--how awesome was she?), I'm glad to see that sometimes the good guy finishes first.


(Edited to add...I started out writing this post kind of jokingly, and now that I read it over, I think I sound kind of swoony about Donny Osmond. I'm not. I just think he's a decent guy. But all the stuff about the 8-track and mix tape...yeah, that's all true.)



1 comment:

Jenny said...

You kill me. :)