Saturday, September 19, 2009

This little obsession hobby of mine

I've mentioned once or twenty times on this blog that I love scrapbooking. Love it.

At the end of last school year, after a horrible week that capped off a pretty yucky year, Darryl surprised me by registering me for the Creative Escape scrapbooking retreat in Phoenix, Arizona. That's right. Arizona. When Darryl decides he wants to give a great surprise, he does it right!

The retreat is held at Sheraton Wild Horse Pass Resort, and it feels like it is in the middle of the desert. Bazzill Basics paper is one of the sponsors of the event, and Heidi Swapp, one of the "bigwigs" in the world of scrapbooking, is also one of the hosts and teachers at the event.

Here's the basic concept: Each attendee signs up to be in one of eight groups. There are eight classes taught by eight different teachers, and in each class, attendees make a different project, using new techniques or products to apply to scrapbooking or any other type of craft project. So over the course of two days, each attendee goes to eight classes and goes home with eight projects. We didn't really scrapbook in the traditional sense, but we were doing what they kept calling "off the page scrapbooking," which is basically a craft project that features photos, but might not be a traditional scrapbook. (If you are not remotely even interested in scrapbooking, you have probably stopped reading by now, right?)

Anyway, the retreat was three weeks ago, the last several days of August. It was wonderful. Here's a little recap of what it was all about...

I actually flew out on Wednesday evening after school. That's a story in itself because I missed my plane (technically, I wasn't there in time to get my bag checked before the flight, and since I was carrying a bag full of Exacto knives and sharp scissors, carrying it on the plane was not an option). Then I had to wait a few hours for the next flight, and then we had to wait for another hour because of lightning on the runway. I finally landed in Phoenix at about midnight Phoenix time, and as I waited for my shuttle in the wait area outside the airport, I was keenly aware that even in the late-night hours, Phoenix is HOT.

By the way, here's a photo of the view outside my room. Pretty cool, huh?


Thursday
Thursday was more of a relaxed day. I got up and had breakfast at the hotel with my friends Blayne and Mary, who had flown out there on Tuesday. Then we did a little shopping. One of the scrapbooking megastores in Phoenix sets up shop at the resort, and this little shop was almost as big as one of the places I frequently shop at here. They also had all kinds of stuff we don't get in Atlanta. I had to practice some great restraint and willpower, but I did walk away with a decent stash. I think Darryl was a little concerned when I called home that evening and said, "It was understood, wasn't it, that I would be doing some shopping while I was here...right?"

That afternoon, our last friend in our group--Cathy--joined us and we went to a trunk show where we met our teachers and looked at some of their projects just to get a sense of their personal "style." While we met all the teachers, here are the ones I liked the best:

Below is a photo of us with Tim Holtz, the lone male teacher in the group. I know the photo of us is blurry (thanks to the stranger who took our photo), but I had to include it because his class was my absolute favorite. He is pretty well-known in the scrapbooking industry because of his line of scrapbook tools and inks and such. His class was the last one we took that weekend, so we ended on a high note.

And here's the project I made in Tim's class. It's a little mini-album that is titled "Moments from the Journey." I love it.


Heidi Swapp was also great. She spoke at one of the evening events, and her class was wonderful also. I am not a big cryer, but that woman had me tearing up several times as she talked about her passion for preserving memories and showed us lots of "little moments" in her kids' lives that she had scrapbooked through the years. One of the main reasons I even started scrapbooking was to preserve little memories of Amelia that I don't want to forget, so Heidi's message really resonated with me. Anyway, here we are with her:


The other teacher whose class I really enjoyed was Heather Bailey. She has a background in fashion and is known for her great bright retro-floral fabrics and sewing patterns, but she is now breaking into the scrapbook industry. I loved her stuff, and her class was lots of fun, too.

After the trunk show was over, we had dinner at a great Mexican restaurant and then went back to the hotel to rest up for the next two days.

Friday and Saturday
These were the days we actually went to the classes. Basically, each class was an 1 hour and 45 minutes long. We'd break long enough to grab a coke or some water and head to the next class. Then we'd break for lunch and go to two more classes before going to dinner. Both evenings, there was some kind of event after dinner--Friday it was another "project" that I stayed for just part of and then left early to go to bed, and the next evening it was a big celebration with lots of door prizes and a keynote speaker. It was a fun evening that capped off a wonderful weekend.

I also really enjoyed the time I spent with my friends. I knew Blayne pretty well before we went, but Mary and Cathy were more like acquaintances who I feel I can truly call "friends" now. Great ladies, great fun, great time!

1 comment:

Jenny said...

Girl, that sounds like soooo much fun. I'm jealous!