Saturday, January 03, 2009

Two-Movie Date Night

Considering the fact that Darryl and I saw exactly ONE movie in 2008 and that was almost a year ago (Juno, which we both enjoyed), when we had another opportunity for a date night last night, we decided to get all wild and crazy and see TWO movies. We saw The Curious Case of Benjamin Button, which was my choice, and Valkyrie, which was history buff Darryl's choice.

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
If you get an opportunity to see this movie, go. It is excellent. And take a box of Kleenex.

Darryl and I both really enjoyed this movie. Now, it's long--almost 3 hours--but it is worth it. The basic premise, as you may already know, is that Benjamin Button (Brad Pitt's character) ages backwards while, of course, everyone else ages normally. It has the whole "life is what you make it" and "every moment counts" kind of themes, and there are parts of the movie that are just beautiful to look at.

And speaking of beautiful to look at, I would be remiss if I didn't mention the beauty of Brad Pitt in this movie. I've never been much of a Brad Pitt person...I mean sure, the guy is attractive and all that, but I gave him the boot over the whole Brangelina thing. HOWEVER, there are parts of this movie where he is just perfection to look at. He and Cate Blanchett are both wonderful in this movie. Loved it.


Valkyrie
Darryl wanted to see this because he is a big WWII history buff, and he had seen some special about this story on the History Channel.

This movie was so bad that Darryl asked me if I was ready to leave about 40 minutes from the end. We ended up staying because I figured that we paid for it, so we might as well stay for it.

I told Darryl that the suspense was kind of ruined for me in the beginning because we all know that the assassination plot against Hitler obviously was unsuccessful.

Darryl said the movie was also poorly done because it left out some key parts of the story. I'll just trust him on that.

Don't even bother renting Valkyrie.

3 comments:

Jenny said...

My mom and I went to see Benjamin Button last night and we loved it too. It was easy to stare at Brad, old or not (but of course, easier when he was hot like flapjacks) especially during the "we lived on the mattress" scenes. Nice. Loved.

RealTimShady said...

One review of Valkyrie says that Tom Cruise is "distractingly bad."

Amy said...

Jen, I'm going to try to start using the phrase "hot as flapjacks." Love it.

And Tim, I would agree with that review. I almost LOL'd during his dramatic death moment. (Is that a spoiler? Of course the guy dies. And nobody should see this movie anyway.)