Thursday, January 01, 2009

New Year's: Resolutions and Such

I'm actually at my house by myself. I can't quite remember the last time that has happened. Darryl and my parents (who came up to visit because my mom has a long weekend off from work) and Amelia have gone to my cousin's house, and I thought I'd take a few minutes of uninterrupted time to blog.

It's been a good day so far. Darryl grilled a pork loin, and I fixed hashbrown casserole, black-eyed peas, cornbread, and brownies for lunch. It was all pretty good, if I do say so myself.

I'm looking forward to 2009 because frankly, 2008 wasn't my favorite. It seemed that 2008 was tough on a lot of people--many loved ones passed away not only in our family but in families of friends of ours as well; my passion for teaching has dwindled quite a bit; and overall, it's been a bit of a roller coaster. On the other hand, I've enjoyed Amelia so much, and Darryl continuously amazes me as a father to her (and he's a good husband, too!), and we've enjoyed celebrating her milestones and watching her grow. So when I think about those things, I feel like I can't complain too much.

That being said, here are my resolutions for 2009:

1. I want to lose 10 pounds by St. Patrick's Day. There's nothing significant about St. Patrick's Day for me, but I figure I'll give myself a goal.

2. I want to exercise a little more. Wait, make that "I want to exercise." Period. I'm doing zero right now. (I'd really like to get back into running, but baby steps here. Baby steps.)

3. I want to read more for enjoyment. I typically get caught up in books I need to read for school, but reading for fun--even if it is Twilight--is good for the soul.

4. I need to make better use of my time so I can fully enjoy my "down time."

5. And speaking of down time, I want to continue scrapbooking on a regular basis. This hobby is such a creative outlet for me, and it really does change my perspective on life...for the better.

I think that's enough for now. I don't want to go crazy or anything.

Happy New Year! Happy 2009!

No comments: