Sunday, December 28, 2008

Christmas, Parts 1 and 2

I've always thought that maybe the Jews had something going with celebrating for 8 days during the holiday season. (I'm being very sincere with that statement. I hope it didn't come across as disrespectful or making light of Hanukkah.) After all, there is so much buildup to Christmas, and then the day is over and done in the blink of an eye.

Well, this year, we actually did the whole "Christmas morning" thing three days in a row. I kind of liked it, but I don't think I can do more than three days.

Christmas, Part 1
For the first time EVER, we did the official Christmas morning thing at our house with just the three of us. (We've had Christmas before at our house, but usually with my parents.) Amelia slept until a little after 8:00, primarily because she had a Christmas Eve meltdown from 11 to 1 the night before. (That's a long story that isn't really that interesting. Short version: She woke up at 11:00 and cried, wailed, flailed, and kicked her legs until 1 or so. Lots of fun. Santa almost decided not to stop.)

Anyway, it took us over an hour to open gifts because Amelia liked to open one and then play with it to her satisfaction before moving on to the next gift.

We started with the good ol' corn popper:


After walking around with that for about 20 minutes, she moved on to the next gift, really her "big" gift, Elmo Live:
This expression means "I'm now done with Elmo Live. Next gift, please."
And this went on for a while. We had a rather lazy morning, just enjoying Amelia playing with her toys. After lunch, we went ahead and headed to Florida. (Our original plan had been to go to Florida the day after Christmas.) Here's the down side to traveling Christmas Day: no eating establishments are open except for Waffle House. Our Christmas evening meal was a Waffle House breakfast. Not that there's anything wrong with that, right?

Christmas, Part 2
Friday morning, we did the whole gift opening thing with my family. Do you think the WNBA has a future star on their hands? (That is a totally obnoxious mom thing to say, isn't it?)
With all the toys available to Amelia at Nana and Papa's house, guess what Amelia enjoyed playing with the most? Potatoes. Potatoes, people. Amelia had loads of fun taking all the potatoes out of Nana's basket and passing them to everyone. Then she'd put them back in the basket and do it all over again. Oh, the money everyone could have saved if they had known that her heart's desire this Christmas was really just some potatoes.



That evening, we had a delicious meal prepared by my mom: ham, potato salad, macaroni and cheese, the works. My dad even made a fabulous sweet potato pie!

Christmas, Part 3
At this point, Christmas morning was feeling a little like Groundhog Day, but we were still having fun. On Saturday, we did the Christmas morning thing with Darryl's family.

Here's Madison, our niece, dressed like Hannah Montana. She can sing "The Best of Both Worlds" with the best of 'em.
I wish I could post pics of my other niece and my nephew, but the clearest pics I have of them are of them holding gifts with their full names on them, and I don't want to put that info on my blog.

Anyway, that evening, Darryl fixed a wonderful prime rib, and his Uncle George, Aunt Miriam, and cousins Camille and Malorie came over. We only get to see them about once a year, if that, so it was a special treat to get to visit with them.

Here are Malorie and Camille. Malorie is making her way up the journalism career ladder by working as a fact checker at a political magazine (and the name of it escapes me at the moment). I thought it was super cool that she got to attend both the Democratic and Republican Conventions for her job. And Camille, on the right, is an amazing ballerina who just danced the part of Clara in The Nutcracker a few weeks ago.

And here's Amelia with her Uncle George:
Don't judge me for the pacifier. We sort of regressed in the pacifier use for this trip. We just wanted a peaceful Christmas, and if a pacifier was going to help with that, then so be it.

Conclusion
We're now back home, and it feels good to be home. We really enjoyed spending time with both families, and we have lots of memories that I can't wait to scrapbook. :)

I must confess that now I'm going to go to bed and continue reading Eclipse, the third book in the Twilight series. My 5th period girls said it was "awesome," and so far, it has been quite enjoyable. You know, in that teenagery-vampire-love kind of way. Again, don't judge me.

2 comments:

RealTimShady said...

Amelia is so cute and you have beautiful floors.

Jenny said...

You will regret the cornpopper toy, my friend. :)

No judgement here on pacifier. We still plop one in Jake's mouth.