Monday, October 06, 2008

I Kid You Not

I'm making a concerted effort to be positive this week, and here is a teacher story from today that I just have to share.

You know the PERFECT 5th period class I have? Well, this conversation actually took place in my classroom as we finished our discussion of Night:

K in the front row: I loved this book. Loved it. In fact, I've enjoyed every book we've read so far.

E in the back row: Me, too. I've loved them all. These books have been so good.

(Everyone chimes in with similar remarks. It's a freakin' lovefest.)

Me: Well, while I'm thrilled you've loved all the books so far, keep in mind that you may not love everything we read. Maybe you will, but don't be too disappointed if you don't. (I say this only because I know Julius Caesar--ugh--is on the horizon.)

K: Mrs. ___________, it doesn't matter. We trust your judgment. If you assign us a book to read, even if I don't like it, I'll read it anyway because obviously you think there is something I can gain from it.


Is this class for real? I'm not trying to toot my own horn here; I'd say the idyllic nature of this class is 100% because of the students. They read. They discuss. They care.

I love them.

3 comments:

Jenny said...

Isn't it weird how some classes are like this? My fourth period (a small class) is like this with TKAM.

So glad you have a great class like this! And, it's not ALL about the students, girl. :) You have something to do with it.

Amy said...

I still think it is all them, but I definitely do my best teaching with these kinds of students.

Unfortunately, I'm not one of those teachers who do well with the unmotivated.

Kristy said...

Wow! I'm jealous. I'm fighting with 7th graders over showing their work & completing all the steps with algebraic expressions...whine, whine, whine, I tell you.

You deserve this great class!