Friday, September 12, 2008

Sometimes I have good ideas...

...and sometimes I don't.

I learned last weekend that my love for hand-dipped corn dogs does have its limits, and that limit is the Yellow Daisy Festival at Stone Mountain.

I had been wanting to go to the Yellow Daisy Festival because several of my friends told me it was really cool, and last year someone gave me a really cute T-shirt for Amelia that came from a YDF vendor.

So last weekend, when I realized that the YDF was happening right then, I decided I wanted to go. I asked Darryl if he wanted to go, but he declined so that he could spend some time with his mistress, College Football. But let's be honest. He wouldn't have wanted to go even if it weren't football season.

Amelia and I started off on our adventure. I was excited. I was going to have some good food, find some cute kids' clothes, and have some mother-daughter time as well. The trip there was uneventful. Amelia napped the whole way, and I listened to the Rick Dees countdown on XM 80's radio. Good times.

Until we went got close to Stone Mountain. Apparently everyone else in the metro-Atlanta area had the same idea to come to the Yellow Daisy Festival.

There were a couple of moments I considered turning the car around and going home, but I always shot down those thoughts with, "Nope. I've made it this far. I'm not turning back now."

It took me longer to find a parking spot than it did for me to drive to Stone Mountain. I'm not kidding.

I ended up parking probably a little over a mile from the Festival. It didn't occur to me, as I was walking downhill to the festival site, that I would have to walk uphill later that afternoon to get back to my car.

Here's Amelia at the entrance to the Festival:


I stood in line for about 20 minutes for a corn dog. I had some lemonade. I attempted to look at the crafts and other goods in a crowd that was making me more claustrophobic by the second.

After about an hour, I started the long trek uphill back to the car. People who were on their way to the festival would chuckle at Amelia as they passed us. Not sure what was going on, I managed to get a side view of her, and she was doing this:

Here's me, Amelia's foot, and most of Amelia's face. Awesome photography skills, yes? My excuse for my appearance is that I just walked a mile uphill pushing a 25-pound child in a stroller.
So basically, I went to the Yellow Daisy Festival for a corn dog.

And y'all, that was way too far.

2 comments:

Jenny said...

Don't ya hate it when a plan doesn't really come together at all? I have those moments all the time. Cute pics.

Kristy said...

I hate it when that happens! You need to come my way for an awesome craft show in November. We could celebrate your b-day seeing as I always remember it! (LOL) There are hand-dipped corn dogs, kettle corn cooked right in front of you, homemade apple dumplings with soft-serve ice cream, and oh, yeah, great crafts!! Come! (Please...& I promise, NO uphill walking...it's pretty flat down here!)