Sunday, May 18, 2008

Whew, what a week!!

Some parts of this post are long overdue (like Mother's Day), but this week has really seemed like three because this week has been insanely busy. Here are some Amelia-related highlights:

Last Sunday was my first Mother's Day. Darryl had to go out of town unexpectedly a few days before to help with some things with his dad, and he wasn't able to get a flight back until that afternoon...but maybe it is most appropriate that I spend Mother's Day with my daughter, anyway. Amelia and I went to church, hung out, shopped a little...and then when Darryl came in, we went to dinner. Anyway, here's a pic of Amelia and me on Mother's Day:



Both our families came up this weekend because we were participating in a Baby Dedication Service at our church today. (Before I go any further, please don't be offended that I didn't mention this earlier. This is a bit different from a christening or a baptism, and I really wanted to keep the attendance small, nor did I want people to wonder if they needed to come, so I just kept it quiet.) I'll get more into the dedication service in a minute...

Saturday, Darryl, Darryl's brother Dayton, his two kids (Savannah and Cameron), and I went to the Braves game. We took MARTA, and on the way there, I saw this sign and it made me laugh. (You'll have to look closely to see what amused me, but my fellow English teachers will be proud.)

Someone circled the colon that needs to be removed before the list. Then that person circled the ing on carrying and wrote "WRONG." That made my day! Grammarians, unite!!

Here's a pic of Dayton and the kids at the game. (I'm not sure what face that is that Dayton is making.)


That lady in the corner cracks me up, too. Anyway, Darryl found some awesome seats. We were seven rows up on the 3rd base line. Here's our view:
It was also an evening of culinary delight for me because I had a footlong hotdog with a side of nachos. Man, I love stadium food...maybe more than I love fair/festival food.

And that brings us to today. This afternoon, as I said earlier, we participated with Amelia in a Baby Dedication Service at our church. It was small, intimate service (separate from the church service), and just in case you are curious about what went on...

The atmosphere was casual, but elegant. (That sounds cheesy, but I can't think of any better description.) The lights were dim, and there was a slideshow of pictures of each family participating (30 families total). Each family had a table in the church for our guests. Darryl's family ended up going home last night after the game because Darryl's dad wasn't feeling well, so it was just my parents, Darryl and me, and a few friends from church. Basically, we shared with just our table the values we wanted to instill in Amelia and what kind of qualities we wanted to exhibit as parents. At the end, everyone at our table prayed for Amelia. It was really a nice event...not a "parade" across a stage, but just an intimate gathering of family and a few friends who came in support of our effort to be good parents. I'll end with a pic of the three of us at our table:

2 comments:

Kristy said...

A couple of thoughts:

1. I caught the "ing" error, but didn't catch the colon thing. Help me oh great Grammarian so that I may be ignorant no longer! (Am I in error above??)

2. Dayton's son, Cameron, looks SOOO much like Dayton. Cameron is the son, right? I don't think Dayton would be cruel and name his son Savannah, but you never know. JK :)

3. It sounds like a great 1st Mother's Day, & I agree that stadium & fair/festival food rocks!

4. What an awesome baby dedication. I bet the sharing & prayers were more meaningful & personal than most "formal" ceremonies.

And lastly, how is Darryl's dad? How is Darryl handling things?

Love ya' & praying for you all.

Amy said...

1. Technically, you're not supposed to use a colon unless it is preceded by an independent clause. If the sign had said something instead like "While using MARTA, please refrain from doing the following" it would have been okay. :)

2. Cameron is the spitting image of Dayton. It's scary.

3. It was a great Mother's Day.

4. It was a cool service, and Amelia was really good for the whole thing even though she had not really had a good nap all day!

5. D's dad's first treatments didn't work, but they are trying something else. Darryl is doing okay...