Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Murphy's Law

So...the academic awards program I'm partly in charge of was tonight, and in my opinion, it was a disaster.

Not many parents showed up. Not many students showed up. Teachers griped about having to be there. Large groups of certificates and were shuffled so badly by some of the presenters that it was just mass chaos.

And then, in the middle of the program, our caterer comes over to tell us that "there is a problem." The other person in charge, Elaine, went to check on "the problem."

Our caterer's restaurant (where Tim and I ate dinner, by the way) was shut down by the health department for food safety violations and they could not legally serve food to the public. Yep, shut down during our program. We had to make an announcement at the end that the reception was canceled. And now desserts for 500 people are in a dumpster behind the school cafeteria.

It's not like we booked some dive to cater our reception; they did it last year, and it's a little locally owned deli where I've eaten numerous times. I'm hoping in the end the restaurant is proven innocent (their inspection score is always in the high 90s), but I'm sure some permanent damage has been done to their reputation.

This was really just the grand finale to a day that has stunk all the way around. (I'm sure an even worse day for the restaurant, though. How humiliating.)

I'm going to bed now, people. (Or, Tim, as our beloved Spanish teacher Ms. C would say, "GOOD people.")

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I thought the awards went really fast. Who would have ever dreamed that the health dept. would close down one of our fav places? I am sure I have eaten in places where I wouldn't want to see the kithen. Eddie says to tell you the blender is always plugged in for you.
Oh, and Miss Amelia is obviously getting ready for her stage debut!
Precious!

Amy said...

I debated about posting this because I don't want to perpetuate any gossip about the restaurant, BUT I figured A)you and Tim are the only people I work with who read my blog; B) even if someone I teach or work with has found my blog, it isn't like the news won't be spread regardless; and C) the least I could get out of this day is some good fodder for the blog.

As for Amelia...I promise that if you ever direct Amelia in a production, I will stay in the audience and not become an obnoxious stage mom. :) If her singing ability is inherited from either Darryl or me, she won't be playing any leads. :)

Jenny said...

Sounds horrific. Sorry you had to deal with that.

Kristy said...

Not to sound as old as my students think I am, but bless your heart. I would like to note, however, that even in your frustration & exhaustion, you were still able to throw in a word like "fodder" in your comments!

Rest easy & know that things WILL be better in the morning. Hey, maybe you won't be stuck in charge of this next year, & really, does anyone remember who won what award? NO! They will, however, remember the night the health department shut down the awards festivities, & that had nothing to do with you!