Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Trimesters and School

Well, I've hit the final stretch...the third trimester. Why do I think this will feel like the longest one? I'm feeling okay, but I think the tiredness has returned. I also think this tiredness is combined with the usual tiredness I feel when my body adjusts to starting school again. Anyway, the first item on my agenda when I get home is a nap. Do I really have time to nap? No. But I do it anyway. (That last sentence makes me think of Martina McBride's song "Anyway," except she's talking about big things like loving and dreaming and singing. I just want to nap. Go Martina.)

School is plugging right along. This is my first year without seniors, and I have to admit I'm enjoying the break. Seniors have this certain attitude of "I'm the big, bad senior, so I don't have to do what I don't want to do." I gotta say I'm not missing that. I'm a little disappointed with my two classes of sophomore honors students, and I can't really put my finger on why that is. They all seem like good kids, but both my classes are larger than the honors class I taught last year (last year, I had 13 students, and this year, I have 20+ in each class), and one class--the last class of the day--can be downright obnoxious and loud. Today was a little better, but we still have a ways to go.

My juniors are starting The Crucible tomorrow, and we're reading parts in class. That can either be fun or painful. Cross your fingers for me that it will be the former. I'm looking forward to the line--and fortunately, it takes place early on--when Abigail tells John something along the lines of "Remember when you clutched my back and sweated like a stallion" because that is when the students' interest perks up. :)

Well, speaking of The Crucible, I better start working on my prep. I've taken a nap and I've blogged, so I have no excuses not to work on it. Yay.

10 comments:

Jenny said...

I'm jealous! I miss teaching The Crucible!!!

I love the "Sweated like a stallion" part! Yay!

Amy said...

John Proctor may be my second literary crush behind Sydney Carton. Sure J.P is an adulterer, but he mends his ways. And he wants his name...that's all that he has! (I love that part, too!)

Anonymous said...

OK, Jen and Amy:
I just got off of playbill.com and A Tale of Two Cities, the musical will be featuring one of the reality series wannabes (something about a competition to star on Broadway in Grease? Sorry, no more info...wasn't on my radar.) Thought you might be interested in the musical.

Jenny said...

Amy, you and I were separated at birth. I love that part too. I always get a lump in my throat when he wants his name! :) Awww..Daniel Day Lewis did a great job with this in the movie too. Hot, dirty mess that he was.

Amy said...

Kim, I at least hope the person playing Sydney is hot because in my mind, he is super-hot, ponytail and all. By the way, when are you going to write BEOWULF THE MUSICAL? I know you have loads of free time! :)

And Jen, we must be! Typically, I'm all about hygiene, but I'd take him, dirty teeth and all. (His teeth do look pretty gross towards the end. Have you ever noticed?) I also love the part where Elizabeth tells her one lie...heartbreaking!

Jenny said...

Yeah JP needs a toothbrush towards the end...he also needs a good scrubdown.

Amy said...

And probably a good de-lousing.

RealTimShady said...

Daniel Day-Lewis is a big ole method-acting FREAK.

Amy said...

I don't care--I like him in this movie.

Anonymous said...

BEOWULF THE MUSICAL is still in the incubation stage, thank God.