Saturday, January 06, 2007

Recent Events

This is going to be a scattered post, I'm sure, but I was just in the mood to post about some random things that have taken place in the past couple of weeks.

--School started. We started back Tuesday (with a wonderful Diversity Training session--yes, I'm being sarcastic), and students came back Wednesday. So far, I can't complain.

--Darryl and I now have knife skills. For Christmas, Darryl gave me a really nice chef's knife (that's okay, ladies--I actually wanted a chef's knife), and he signed us up for a knife skills class at the Viking store in Atlanta. I loved the class; it was hands-on, and I learned how to chop/mince/dice/julienne/debone in ways that will likely save time and my fingers. I told Darryl that if he wins the lottery, I'm quitting my job and taking cooking classes all day, every day.

--We bought a sofa. That was a pretty big undertaking. We should have it in 8 weeks...I hope.

--I love the show Everwood. I've said it before, but doggone it, I'm saying it again. No wonder fans were incredulous when the show was cancelled in the creation of the CW network. Seriously, the show (which now airs on ABC Family) has made me cry about four times in the past week. That's huge--people who know me know that I lack the ability to produce tears at even the tear-jerkiest of movies. Anyway, Everwood is heartfelt without being schmaltzy, with story lines that often follow a more realistic ending than a "happily ever after" one; the setting is beautiful; and the teenagers actually look and act like...teenagers. And I love Treat Williams.

--LSU 41, Notre Dame 14. Geaux Tigers!

--I'm trying to stick to my resolutions. I've exercised twice this week, with plans to exercise tomorrow.

--I'm tired of the Rosie/Trump feud. Right now, they are both annoying me. Enough already. Who cares?

--Freedom Writers: same song, 514th verse? Most of what I've heard about the movie Freedom Writers, starring Hilary Swank, is on target with what I assumed: it is yet another movie about a teacher who makes a difference with inner-city kids. (I'm guessing the plot is something like this: teacher is naive, students hate teacher, teacher does something cool and innovative to make students like teacher, administrator disapproves of the innovation, one student gets killed or almost gets killed, students and teacher bond together to change their lives, the teacher realizes she learned as much from her students as they did from her.) I don't plan to see the movie, but I would be interested in seeing a documentary about the real teacher, who was interviewed on GMA this week. She mentioned how she "threw out the curriculum" (um, okay) and decided to teach the kids to find their voice. Sounds cool, but I still think I'll skip the Hollywood version.

Now, back to the knife skills...I'm making tortilla soup tonight so I can practice by slicing and dicing. I guess I better get to it...

P.S. Forgive my failure to provide links to terms, things, or ideas that may be of interest. I just don't feel like doing it. That's what Google is for.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have decided that the next time someone at work tells me we are in for "diversity" training...I am already diverse enough and will challenge them to a day of "diverse" activities. Then we'll see. Hummmph.

Anonymous said...

Your knife paragraph makes me think of an old episode of the now-defunct soap Ryan's Hope. Some character was on a houseboat slicing and dicing things for dinner and the boat began to topple and she stabbed herself in the stomach. (I was young when I saw this, so I might have some of the details wrong.)

As for Rosie and Donald...while I'm tired of the whole thing, Rosie is right in this case. I just watched The Donald on Letterman and he a) misrepresents what Rosie originally said and 2) essentially picks on Rosie for being an outspoken woman. (He has had nothing to say of the assorted male pundits who have criticized him similarly.)

Methinks DT could use some Diversity Training.

Amy said...

I think the lesson I learned from your RYAN'S HOPE story is that I should not use my new knife on a houseboat.

About Donald and Rosie...as much as I'm sick of it, I did stop on a channel long enough last night to hear some of his weak accusations. You're right--he sounded like kid, saying things like, "Well, she's a slob, and her last show was a flop because people didn't like her." Then he went on to talk about how his show is such a success with huge ratings. Um, okay.

Jenny said...

Don't forget, Trump keeps saying the classic, "And she's disgusting." That makes us howl.

Anyway. Diversity training...yeah. We had a guy at our school on Tuesday doing "diversity training" but it was essentially this:
Black people good---White people bad. I kid you not. It was one of the (no--it WAS THE WORST) worst inservice meetings I've ever had. It was appalling.

Amy said...

Ours was the worst meeting, too. It wasn't like yours, but full of painfully long silences. I can't really describe it well unless I can "do" the voice and tone of the women in charge. Painful, I tell you. Painful.