Thursday, November 02, 2006

Rudeness

I've had enough of rudeness for this week. It has reared its ugly head in all kinds of colors and shapes, but these are the three that have really griped me this week:

1. Rude trick-or-treaters. What's up with that? Seriously, Halloween night, this group of 3 or so kids came to the door, and I gave them each a generous handful of candy. Then this kid told me that he wanted another Kit Kat. Seriously? Since when did trick-or-treating entail demanding a certain type of candy? I handed over the Kit Kat, but later I wished I had just reached in his trick-or-treat bag and grabbed a handful and put it back in my bowl.

2. Rude drivers. Today as I was driving home from school, a lady in a new car in front of me stuck her hand through her sunroof and let go of her cigarette stub--and it hit my windshield. This was after she went ahead of me (out of turn) at the 4-way stop. Who does she think she is?

3. Rude students. These are really yanking my chain these days. From asking "did you bring us some candy" upon entering my classroom on Halloween day, to talking while I'm talking, to leaving candy wrappers and CHEWED GUM on the floor, to complaining about every single thing I ask them to do...I've had enough. I love teaching, I really do, but these past couple of weeks have been tough. I'm chalking it up to not having our usual Fall Holiday. It's time for a break. Still...are manners and common decency to much to ask for?

I apologize for the rant, but I do feel better. And just think...this blog therapy is FREE. :)

3 comments:

Amy said...

Addition to my post: I just scrolled down and noticed that I said almost the exact same thing about teaching and students a couple of months ago. Hmm. Maybe this is just going to be a challenging year. Good thing the semester is almost over, I guess. :)

Jess said...

Sorry you're having a tough week... I'm glad I got to see your beautiful smile! What was the name of Darryl's new TV/computer gadget thingy. I told Rob about the Blackberry-laptop football watching in the car... he wants one. Go figure!

Amy said...

I'm glad I was able to see you, too! Overall, the week wasn't bad...just sprinkled with episodes of rudeness. :)

It's called a Slingbox. I'm not sure if Rob should have one. Pretty soon, you'll be driving him around while he is watching TN football!